Computer getting artifacts, any help?

So here's what has happened. I left my computer on, went away for a while, and returned, After about an hour or so, there started to be some artifacts following my mouse around. They were black and vertical, I thought it was something I was accidentally trying to drag from a website, so I clicked the left mouse button. A minute later of trying to get rid of it, the computer kind of crashed, not completely, but the screen just went completely black. I had iTunes up at the time that the screen went black, so my music was still playing.I had no idea what happened, I thought it was randomly going to sleep, but I moved my mouse, and it seemed like the screen was attempting to go back to normal. It kept on doing this for a good minute until I decided to turn it off via button. I thought the problem would go away when I restarted it, so I did. After I turned it on, it showed the Dell startup screen, but it had lines going down the screen vertically. There was either three or for lines, each in a segment, each separated by a space. It went to the coding screen ( I don't know what they call it, the screen with all the lettering and numbering and stuff like that) and then it went to the windows screen, and it had the same blue lines. Once the Windows screen loaded up, it cut to black for a few seconds, then showed the same lines. The lines were then distorted, making the lines look like a checkered pattern. The screen then turned to black, and the monitor said it was going to sleep mode or energy conservation mode. I turned it off. I figured it would take a simple fix as going into safe mode and unistalling the video driver (Nvidia Geforce 7300LE) and installing it again. so I did, and restarted the computer. Same problem happened, with the lines. Then I went into safe mode and uninstalled it and reinstalled it again. Same problem happened, so I go into safe mode again and just uninstall it and login regularly. I restarted the computer, and it has the lines still on the screen, but it successfully started up and went into the login screen. I logged in and everything worked fine, besides the fact I couldn't play any games. I went to the nvidia website and downloaded the driver from there. I installed it from there, and updated it. I restarted the computer, as it prompted me to if I wanted the changes to take affect, so I did and the same problem happened. The lines appeared, and it wouldn't boot up, it would just power on and power off (The monitor) so I decide to just leave the driver uninstalled. So now I'm here, driver-less, and with the choppy scrolling, which I don't like. I went to yahoo! Answers to see if anyone can shed light on my problem, and people were saying it was the card, and that I should get a new one, since artifacts were showing up like crazy. One person mentioned the card was essentially broken, and that I should get a new one.
Should I do like they say and get a new one? It seems like one of the only options that I can take. I am running a Dell XPS 410

Does the Dell have on-board video or a separate video card? On-board video means that the video chip is built into the motherboard and can't be removed, and separate means that the video card is removable from the motherboard and computer. We know the video is Nvidia, but it still can be either on-board or separate

So I'm guessing the problem will go away if I buy a new one right? My computer has PCI Express... Does that mean anything special in particular?

I'm going to jump in here just to confirm that Illuminaudio's video card is indeed a PCI-e styled card, for I just caught a quick look at his computers technical spec's and it is a "removable video card".

For the hardware and technical spec's for your system Illuminaudio, you can get those here....

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps410/en/SM_EN/specs.htm

Your system looks like a more beefed up version of my Dell Dimension 5100c, almost look a like, other than yours is bigger!

Good luck......:)

Back