Computer HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have received a computer from a colleque that wouldn't do anything. I initally checked the pwr supply and found it to be bad. I replaced to with a known good one. Now when I pwr up the computer I get the pwr fan, cpu fan, and HD/CD access indicators ONLY. I might add, NO monitor displays or BEEPS codes of any kind are heard. I inserted a POST card and all tests conducted pass.

I initially thought maybe RAM was bad. I ordered a new stick and after installing it found no change. I now suspect one of the following, mobo, bios, or cpu. What should I do now. Without a monitor screen I have no way of test any of these with aftermarket software.

Suggestions and or comments are GREATLY apprieciated.

System specs:
mobo = FIC AM37 w/AMD Athlon XP 2600+
chipset = VIA 8375 KM266, VIA 8235
ram = 1GB DDR DIMM
video = Savage 8 embedded in VT8375
audio = embedded in 8235 w/AC~97

Thanks
:giddy:

Did you try resetting CMOS?

If you have tried with the basics (one stick of ram, CPU, video card) and you can't post, even after resetting cmos, you have a bad part.

[donnagual rubs his eyes after having to read a post all in red]

I pulled the battery and re-installed it.

I don't suspect any "card" because the POST card test passed. Including onboard video. With and without cards installed, except with the applicable faults due to removed perifs: ie. keyboard.

I can't test Board, CPU or BIOS with aftermarket software with no video.

I quess what I'm asking is.......what should I do next....new motherboard same CPU......new CPU only.......motherboard package?

check the monitor first. If its fine then, then the VGA card may have gone kaput. If its an inbuilt one, then try buying a new video card and installing in AGP slot.

Before do check that the monitor is working fine by using some other monitor in its place. a very basic solution but worth a try. Dont forget to reset the CMOS by changing th jumper settings.

I have used a known good monitor, I have tested onboard video with a POST card(tested good), I have used an AGP video card as well(no change). It's NOT a video problem. That is a symptom of the problem. The problem is BOOT related. There are NO beep codes from the motherboard with or without components(CD, Floppy, HD, RAM, NIC, etc...) attached.

I suspect motherboard or BIOS chipset. My original problem was a bad PSU. What components usually go bad when a PSU fails? :knock:

Carefully check the capacitors around the CPU o the motherboard. If they ooze dark liquid, or look like they have a popping cap (i.e. it is 'rounded' upwards instead of flat), you need a new motherboard.
Should be cheap for that type of processor.
Check with friends for an AMD-compatible mobo, to see if they let you try the CPU.
Bad PSU's don't normally bring down anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back