Computer is on but monitor on standby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody,

I was browsing the internet yesterday evening as I usually do most evenings when all of a sudden a blue screen appeared which told me I had some sort of problem with my physical memory. It asked me to reset my computer and remove any hardware or software which I had recently installed.

When I restarted it, everything seemed to work normally, except for the monitor, which stayed on standby. I've tried switching the computer on and off countless times, and still nothing from the monitor, so I can't even enter setup, or start in safe mode.

The computers a few years old now, but this is the first problem I've ever had with it.

Athlon 600mhz, 384mb ram, 128mb rage graphics card, 80gb maxtor hd with another removeable hd, running win xp.

If anybody could help me with this it would be much appreciated.

Thankyou for the suggestions Peddant.

I tried swapping monitor, same thing is happening.

I also tried testing the PSU with a multimeter on all voltages (3.3, 5 and 12). It's working perfectly.

I agree that buying/building a new pc would definately sort the problem out, but I'm sure it's something that can be fixed as the fans are running fine, the hd is making the usual clicking noise, and the keyboard lights flash when I turn the PC on.

I just can't get the monitor out of standby mode.

Any other suggestions from anybody?

Have you moved/knocked the PC recently ? If so,try reseating the RAM.Even if you haven`t,re-seat the RAM.
There`s no magic bullet for this type of problem.Just a process of elimination.

It`s beginning to look like a mobo problem,unless some Techspot Wiz has a better idea.
If it is the mobo,I doubt whether there`s an easy fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back