Computer is turning off. Needing insights.

derncricket

Hi. My build is:
Asus TUF x570-Plus
Ryzen 12 core 5900X
32GB of RAM
Asus TUF RX 6900XT
Antec NeoEco Platinum 850W power supply

I was playing Madden the other day. And in the second quarter the PC turned off. The power light was lit. The addressable strip on the Motherboard still had lights. Everything else was off and I could not power down or up. Had to power cycle to get it to boot again.
Long story short. I upgraded and downgraded the graphics drivers. Updated the BIOS. Messed around in the BIOS trying things. Used safe mode to mess around in there. Ended up reinstalling Windows. No luck.

After all my fiddling, the computer will sometimes turn off in the same way as soon as the Windows login comes up. Other times it will come up and let me get into Windows. But as soon as anything tries to use the graphics, the PC turns off again. So a game or benchmark. For instance, if I run MSI Kombuster, I start the benchmark, the screen goes full screen to load up... and the computer turns off.

Thinking it was a bad graphics card that is 2 weeks out of warranty. I ordered a new graphics card. It did not solve the problem. I am working with Antec to see if they will replace the power supply under warranty. But I'm worried it may be the motherboard.

Has anyone experienced this issue before and can share what fixed it? My next guess is to replace the power supply. Then the motherboard if needed.

Any insights?

With a problem like yours, I would boot to the BIOS screen and look at the health section of your PC to look at temperatures. If everything looks good I would run Memtestx86 from Passmark Software (free) and run 4 passes. If you can get through that then at least we have established some stability so that you can stop doubting major components of your PC.

If the crashes only occur in Windows and they are random, it wouldn't hurt to load BIOS defaults. If you do rebuild it again, start with Windows updates until it won't install any more updates. Use "Check for Updates" to force it to check. Go to the Asus website and grab drivers for your motherboard and start by installing chipset drivers (reboot) then sound (reboot) and then all other drivers. I don't see the graphics card you are using. if it is an Nvidia chipset grab the drivers from Nvidia.

For anyone searching, it turns out it was the power supply. Fortunately Antec has a 7 year warranty. It was just over a year old. So I was able to replace it at no cost to me. New power supply installed. No more problems.

For anyone searching, it turns out it was the power supply. Fortunately, Antec has a 7 year warranty. It was just over a year old. So I was able to replace it at no cost to me. New power supply installed. No more problems.
I'm glad you got it solved. The only reason I did not suggest the PSU is that you were already working on a possible replacement with Antec. I felt it would have been redundant to mention a component you already considered.

Thanks for updating the thread. =)

Back