User Name TONY-5F4365DF4B\t
Time Zone GMT Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 729.91 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.40 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Hi guys, the above is a breakdown of my system, hope it helps.

The problem is very frustrating: my computer keeps freezing. In other words, the mouse pointer is unable to move, I cannot use the keyboard, and therefore cannot use Ctl+ALt+Del to shut down processes. In order to fix the issue, I need to turn off the computer at the mains and sometimes I notice that the loadingup of windows is slow.

At first I initially thought that the issue was spyware related and so to that effect, I reinstalled windows. No joy, the problem occurs even after a fresh installation of windows. There is NO pattern or warning signs associated with this particular problem, it really is random indeed and I must note that the length of time that it takes for my machine to freeze seems equally variable.

I hope I have provided enough detail for someone to help, and to those that can help: a big big thank you in advance. :D

You have not given us the hard drive brand and model, or the memory brand and type. And the age of your system, hard drive, and memory might be useful... as would the power supply specs.

Have you looked in your Device Manager for any error flags?

With a problem like this it is sometimes difficult to know where to start.
I would download and run the free Memtest86 if it will run that long... It takes about four hours or seven passes (which ever is longer) to know if your memory is good. But it is important to rule out memory as a cause.

Speaking of memory, check the BIOS to see if all of the memory is being displayed. If, say, half the memory is accounted for, then you may have some bad memory.

The other thing to keep in the back of your head is the possibility of a failing hard drive.

Be frugal. Check the stuff that doesn't cost you first (device manager, BIOS, drivers, etc.) and work your way down to the more expensive items (memory, hard drive).

Ok guys some observations:

I was watching youtube and the computer froze (exactly the "same" as it has been). The music I was listening to on youtube died, as if it had been paused along with the mouse cursor not being able to move, or me being able to type. HOWEVER, the curious thing is that I use an infra red mouse and so if it is not connected or if there is no power, then the red light does not appear. The red light was still on even after the computer had frozen.

I checked my Device Manager, and all hardware periphals, no errors, yellow exclamation marks or warning flags.

I ran CHKDSK from the command prompt in the Windows enviroment, and it reported no errors or problems there either.

I wasn't sure as to what info was needed from my BIOS so I wrote it all down:

CPU Temp: 90 C
MB =44 C

CPU Fan Speed= 3947 RPM
Cpu Q Fan Control Enabled
CPU Fan Ratio: Auto
CPu Target Temp=60 C

AMIBIOS
Version=0501
Build Date= 3/2/03
ID=AOI 64001
Prcoessor:

Type Intel Pentium 4 Cpu 3.40 Ghz
Speed: 3400 Mhz

CPU

Manufacturer: Intel
Intel Pentium 4 Cpu 3.40 Ghz
Frequency=3400 Mhz
800 Mhz

Cache L1=16Kb
Cache l2=2048kb

MAx CPUID Value Limit=Disabled
Execute Disable Function=Disabled
Hardware Prefetcher=Enabled
Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch Enabled
CPU Internal Thermal Control=Auto

Chip set settings

Configure DRAM Timing by SPD=Enalbed
Graphic Adapter Priority PCI Express/PCI
VCI for AZlica and Root Ports Disabled

Azlia Controller Enabled
Onbound 1394 Controller Enabled
Onbound LAN Enabled
Onbound LAN Boot Ran=Disabled
Serial Portal Address= 3F8

PCi/Pnp Settings

Plug Play O/S Yes
PCI Latency TIme 64
Allocate IRQ to PCI VGA Yes
Plette Snooping Disabled
PCI IDE Buster Enabled
Offbound PCI/ISA IDE Auto

ACPI Aware O/S Yes
Suspend Mode s3 Only

i was reading this, and im saying to my self "this is a heat problem"

i get down to the bottom:

CPU Temp: 90 C
MB =44 C

90C its possible thats it, however you do have a fast CPU... and if it is a Prescott hot potato it really shouldnt get that hot either should it??
even your ambient temp is high 44C

one way to know is timing it, from a fresh cold boot of 3 min off, boot it up and see how far you get (even if its 20 min)then do a soft reboot, then see how far you get again, if its different, its very possible its heat.

i recommend you reseat your heatsink and put some good paste on it. but lets see what does everyone else thinks... no?

http://arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

90C is too hot for sure,
but 90C is actually 194F, not 210F
You should not exceed 64C in normal use.
Remove thermal paste with denatured alcohol, and replace... remembering that too much is just as bad as too little... acting as an insulator. You want just barely enough.
I would also replace my cpu fan and case fan... and spend time cleaning all air channels of dirt, dust, fiber, and webs.

90C is too hot for sure,
but 90C is actually 194F, not 210F
You should not exceed 64C in normal use.
Remove thermal paste with denatured alcohol, and replace... remembering that too much is just as bad as too little... acting as an insulator. You want just barely enough.
I would also replace my cpu fan and case fan... and spend time cleaning all air channels of dirt, dust, fiber, and webs.

lol right, i thought i edited that! i multiplied by 1.98 rather than 1.8 sorry guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back