Computer keeps freezing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone help me with the following...

My brothers computer keeps freezing when he is on the internet (using either internet explorer or netcaptor) ... mouse and page freeze solid .. cant use on/off button on computer ... only way to get it back is use reset button to turn computer on

Only crashes when uses internet .. not when using other programs offline
Had same problem runnin Win98
I recently reinstalled WinXP (4 days ago) .. still crashes
Has firewall, antivirus and have added blaster worm patch

Does anyone know whats causing this? ..

Thanks,
Steve

Are you on broadband or are you using dialup?

It might be a flaky hardware device, more specifically a modem or NIC, if the problem is occuring across two operating systems and only when using the net.

It very well could be a virus that has infected your computer, we had the exact same problem on the computer in our office and our McAfee didn't discover the trojan until about a month later. I gave up on trying to fix the problem and ended up saving my info and repartitioning everything. Then again, I do that every 6 months. If all else fails, start over...

pc keeps freezing - no matter what i app ive got open

Ive just put a new system together, and no matter what i do or what app ive got open, whether it be media player and its ripping cds or browsing my external hd - ....it keeps freezing.

gigabyte motherboard - ga81pe775
p4 3.2
1gb ram - pqi
radeon video card - 256 mb
120 sata hd
and cd reader.

Besides that, mentos's problem has nothing to do with the internet, it's most likely a hardware issue.
Bad memory (run memtest86 from www.memtest.org for 6 or 7 cycles to test it).
Weak/cheap powersupply
DMA not enabled
Having Norton/Symantec installed
Being infected by virus/trojan/adware
etc.

Did you update your windows to the newest version? A clean install is no good unless you update. Just keep checking for updates till it says your good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back