Computer lags after OC

rabbitboi

So i decided to overclock my computer it was running fine until it randomly started to crash, so right away i reset it back to normal.Then suddenly a few days after my computer had problems loading xp, and then started to lag like mad. Even on start up it lags, games are no longer playable due to 1 digit fps, and even the net is choppy. (all actions executed lag or are choppy). It also freezes for seconds at a time and crashes on occasion(bluescreen)

So in short i just want to know how to fix it, ive read through some forums but i cant find the answer im looking for.

--specs---(dont really know what to post here so general)
Xp sp3
4g DDR2
HD 5570
Duo Core AMD 64 780
2.75 gighrz
350w
a790gm-a board

Have you found a resolve yet? Have you tested the power supply or memory? How old is the system?

yeah i tested the memory with memtest and its fine. After some more testing i figured out that my computer overheats after a while, lags and then shuts down.
Less than 6months old...
Powersupply is working fine.
Honestly im just wondering what is broken so i can replace and get back to gaming lol

thx for responding btw =)

After some more testing i figured out that my computer overheats after a while, lags and then shuts down.
Less than 6months old..

Even the best built computer in the world can overheat if its covered in dust. The first things I'd check are:

1. Are all your case fans running? Are the leading edges of the blades covered in dust?
2. Your cpu fan is running correctly (e.g. spinning like it should be)
3. Your CPU heatsink is free from dust and general crap (including the fan and blades).

You shouldn't let your computer overheat, thermally shut down (the lag is your CPU having a brick because its overheating!) to a point where it shuts completely off, then run it again. You risk serious heat damage to the cpu.

Are you running any fan controllers on the computer?
What CPU fan are you using?

1. yes all my case fans are running fine, cleaned them about a month ago with compressed air, and again just recently to make sure. However still having problems. 4 fans total, put them all on high to help with the cooling, but still nothing.
2. Heatsink is clean. fan controllers just the stock ones in the BIOS
No idea what fans i am using, but go ta 6inch one above the PCIE slots, one amd one on the Motherboard, one by the power supply and another one in the front of the computer ( all 4inch fans)
Temp readings are all normal when i start up the computer, when i play games or just play on it for more than 30mins it starts to heat up and then the lag hits, by that point i usually shut it down.

Do u think its a problem with my heatsink? if so how do i test/fix it? Or should i just replace the entire board? From ur comments it seems like i may already have heat damage....

It sounds like the video card might be overheating. Try this: Take off the side of your PC case and place a small fan to blow into said case with fan on the lowest settings. Now play a game. Any lags?

Try the above as Route44 has commented.

Also, you mentioned about overclocking; is it still overclocked, or is it now running completely stock settings on the cpu, ram and graphics card?

Exactly what temps are increasing? Is it the graphics card, or the cpu?

Tried the open case with the giant fan method its better but after a while it still overheats.

@leeky: its back to normal or stock right now. Put the graphics card on low too.
According to the graphs its the CPU....
And after doing the open case fan method the casing in which the processor sits is really hot, to the touch. Graphics card, ram and other parts are all cool in comparison.

I guess all i want to know is if its a particular part of my computer that is broken or if i have to replace the entire motherboard. Or if there is a program anyone can recommend to check these things,

Sorry about the late reply, was getting ready for school and stuff, didnt really have time to do the whole sit and tweak.

First, we understand about schooling and its demands. Many of us have been there, done that. :)

It sounds like you may need a new heat sink for your cpu. It shouldn't be that hot and heat will shut down a system fast.

That is great news...guess will go to the computer store in the next few days pick up a new heat sync and see if i cant get my computer back to working condition. Thx a bunch, will let u know what happens.

Thanks for keeping us updated. I hope that is the cause which would be easy to resolve. It also could be the thermal paste.

If your overclocking you really should invest in a good aftermarket cooler, and some good thermal paste as well.

Both will allow you to push the OC further on your CPU, as the faster it gets, the hotter it becomes. Retail coolers are known for not being much use once you start overclocking.

A good example is my retail cooler on my Quad core PC (Intel Core 2 Quad; Q8300 2.5GHz). It's hot under load with this cooler, with temps around the 50'C plus range. Its now fitted with a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (Rev.2) cooler, and running an OC of 3.4GHz its barely touching 50'C at full load during stress testing. The thermal paste I used was Arctic MX2, pre-applied onto the coolers heatsink.

Back