computer locks up :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr-Death

Don't matter what I'm doing it always locks up, if I'm using the computer it will lockup about 2 hours later, but if it's just on and not in use it will lockup within a hour or so ..right before it locks up I hear a click from inside the case and boom a sec later it locks and I can't do anything..I have all Microsoft update , this even happens on a very fresh install like 1 hour after install it locks up. I have no idea on how to tell if it's a hardware issue so I can't do anything there.. Please HELP

That sounds like a hardware problem of some sort. make sure verything is cooling properly, and seated in their slots properly. The click and boom could be a fan locking up, or something like that. Try loading your system with only the esential compionents in it (vid card, HDD, 1 stick of RAM). See if it happens with that, then add one piece at a time after that until you might find the culprit.
Post back if you are still having problems.

BTW,
:wave: Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

If there is clicking involved, it is probable to assume your troubles are mechanical rather than electronic.. Or at the very least involve mechanical parts.

Mechanical parts in your computer are your hard drive, fans and/or CDROMs.

Power supplies can also make clicking sounds, although this usually means the protection circuit has been switched and your system should turn off. So this is most likely not it.

My first assumption would be the drives (hard disk especially). It could also be a sign of intermittent lack of power to one of your drives (They often make a click and whine when they spin down from a hard power off). Ensure that your cables are snug and direct. Don't use power splitters and try a different power cable with your hard drive if at all possible.

Coincidentally, bad drives can cause freezing as well as other mysterious problems.

If it happens exactly one hour after last use, and you hear a 'clicking' noise before this happens, then it sounds like you computer is going into some sort of power saving mode (the clicking noise is likely the hard drive heads being parked).

It may be that your computer is not able to go into power saving mode properly, and is locking up.

Check your settings for power saving, and disable all power saving on your computer (check both your bios and your windows settings). Leave it for a couple of hours to see if it still locks up, then let us know what happens.

Ok so I think I fixed it.. This is what I did, I used this program Acronis Partition Expert 2003 and I clean wiped my partition D: then I formatted it, then I deleted it and created a new Partition.. (35 gigs of apps,movies and games gone :( oh well.. I did the same to Partition c: and all is good so far no lockups yet :) Thanks for all the suggestions .. I did a search for lockups here in the forums (like I should of in the first place :) ) and I learned a lot and I'm not the only one with probs like this.. I shall return here with all my computer probs hehe

Well sorry you had to lose all those programs, but I hope it doesn't keep coming back.

We look forward to seeing you around :)

Originally posted by Dr-Death
I used this program Acronis Partition Expert 2003 and I clean wiped my partition D: then I formatted it, then I deleted it and created a new Partition.. (35 gigs of apps,movies and games gone :( oh well.. I did the same to Partition c: and all is good so far no lockups yet :)

Weird problem solving method if you ask me. I would have checked OS settings first ;)

You didn't fix it.. Just shut it up for awhile. If happens again.. Formatting is never the answer. :)

well it still locksup :( Mictlantecuhtli (or any one else) you mentioned checking OS settings could you please tell me what settings I should check. As for disable all power saving on my computer I checked both bios and my windows settings and I disabled all of it and it still happens..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back