Computer no longer works after period of inactivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

AXXEL

I left my computer on over night and when i came back and tried to use it, the computer wouldn't respond. My first thought was to just move the mouse and bring it back but nothing happened. I turned it off by pushing the power button and restart the computer but nothing happened when i turned it back on!! No splash screen no BIOS or POST beeps.

I tried unplugging the Hard drive and powering it up but i got no error beeps.
So i took the RAM out and powered up again and got the error beep i was looking for. SO...do you guys think its the RAM that went bad?

*i did try to switch the RAM to a different slot but i had the same problem not beeps, no POST. (the computer is relatively new; How could the RAM just die like that?)

Are the drives and fans spinning up? If they are check your video card. If they aren't check your power supply. If after you check the video card you have same symptoms reset the cmos and try again.

well its not the video card because it's inter graded, but yes the fans spin, every thing starts, power supply seems ok but no signal, nothing comes up on the screen it just stays black. I also tried to reset the CMOS (BIOS) but same problem. I hope its not the mother board.

*sorry for the thread title

Sounds like a bad power supply to me. I just replaced one today in a system that did the same thing you describe here

well its wasn't the power supply, i tried a new 500W psu and it didn't fix any thing. Other than changing the RAM, dose any one have any other ideas? I hope the MoBo is not bad.

(*the computer is an HP a1221n)

Open the case again and look at the motherboard carefully for exploded or leaky capacitors. Did you notice any smoke or a burning smell?

nothing exploded or leaking, as far as i can see. As for the smoke i wasn't home when the problem could have occurred, plus the smell should have lingered in the case and i didn't smell any thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back