Computer not communicating with monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sauce_dt

Hello,

I accidently posted this in the wrong forum the first time, so I apologize for the double posting (for anyone who may see it twice). Thank you in advance for your help.

We are attempting to fix a dreaded e-machine for my parents. It is model T2682. Originally, the power supply stopped functioning, which we replaced after testing it to make sure that was the problem (we purchased it from e-machines). When we attempted to restart the computer, the monitor and computer were not communicating. Realizing that often times, the motherboard is also faulty when the power supply fails with e-machines, we replaced the Mobo, CPU and cooling fan. Still the same issue. Someone suggested it might be faulty RAM, so we tried replacing that as well. No go.

We have tried unplugging everything and re-plugging it in, one at a time, and have tried different monitors and power cords.

The fans and drives turn on but there is no video going to the monitor. Note that the video is built in to the motherboard (with the original as well).

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

Best bet would be to install a pci video or agp video just to see if you can boot.

Well then, thats all the major componants. If I read your post right, you've replaced all of it.

The only common part left would be the case it self. Maybe try a frankin-ish-stein setup, no case.
Just the psu, mobo, ram & cpu/heatsink. set mobo on a anti-static bag or cardboard, hook up the keyboard, psu and monitor.
The tricky part may be the front panel connections (buttons).
emachunks are proprietary and you may not be able to start the computer without front panel buttons.

Look for the wires labeled pwr_sw or something like it, comming from the front panel, see which pins it connects to. You'll need to use a paper clip or something to short the two pins to start the machine outside the case.

Beyond this maybe consider pulling everything good from this box, cpu, ram, video, hdd, cdrom....etc, and get another case and mobo (non- E-machincker)

Do you still have the other parts?
If so, have you tried the original cpu on the new mobo?

New CPU

Unfortunately, in the upgrade we converted to a different configuration. ARG! Soooo... we know that the old Mobo and CPU didn't work, and neither do the new ones...

I'm reaching for things now.....as simple as it is, have you pulled mobo battery?
Just in case the bios is messed up.
What combo do you have now?

I'm at a loss now...maybe others here will step in, for what I may be missing.

Battery

Nice to know that we aren't the only ones at a loss. Yes, we tried the Mobo battery AND we tried the BIOS jumpers.

Current configuration:
Mercury 740FDMX Socket A Mobo (mATX)
AMD Duron 1.8GHz CPU
XP 3200 Core Fan
250W Power Supply (50 Watt increase from original)
512 DDR RAM (PC2700/184 pin)- 2x 256 RAM

Somebody HELP!

Were the mobo & cpu from e-machine?
If not that could be the trouble.

I won't just walk away from this thread.

No, we purchased them together from Tiger Direct. However, we were having the same issue with the old Mobo and CPU. We just assumed that the issue was with the Mobo because of the history with e-machines. The old Mobo and CPU were from e-machines, though.

Shouldn't we at least get some signal going to the screen?

No, not really. What does the front panel connector wires look like?
what do the mobo front panel pins look like?
the new mobo looks like :::::: and the wires from the front look like........ or are they seperate wires?

In other words do the wires from the case actually fit the new mobo?
there may be a proprietary difference between new mobo and the case....

Hmmm? now that I think about what you've already posted you said the cpu fan was spinning up. The loss is growing.
Do you by chance have access to another similar machine you could test the componants on?

They are separate wires. And they are marked power LED (green/white), HDD LED (Red/White), Power SW (black/white). There are 9 pins on Mobo ::::. We are not 100% sure about the configuration onthe new Mobo, because the specs that came with the Mobo aren't very descriptive.

The only other wire that doesn't reach on the new Mobo is the front panel USB.

We are in process of trying to compile enough parts to try swapping (but, as you know that means taking things apart, etc).

The CPU fan spins, and HD sounds like it starts up, but then nothing on screen.

That seems ok to me, I'm not familiar with the mercury brand mobo.
pin out on mobo's tend to be criptic at best.
G'Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back