Computer not recognizing new processor

I just replaced my old processor ( AMD Athlon 1.2 Ghz) with a AMD Athlon XP HD 2800 (2.083 Ghz) but in the Bios it is still showing as the old processor, it also shows as the old one on boot up.

Did I maybe install it wrong or do I ned to contact the provider of the processor about them sending me the wrong processor?

Did you make sure that the motherboard was compatible with the new CPU? You may need to update the bios in order for the new CPU to be seen. Did you try resetting the bios to it's defaults?

I was told everything was done right ( had work done at a computer repair shop). How do I reset my BIOS , will I lose any data currently on my PC, and should I go to the repair shop and have words with them for not doing it?

You probably should return to the repair shop if any work of theirs is under warranty. Yes you can update your bios yourself if you really wanted to, and no it wont delete anything from your hard drive. You either need a bios update, if the motherboard still supports the cpu at all. Go back to the repair shop first in my opinion.

Yes, take it back to the repair shop. They should have checked to see if the new CPU was recognized before it left them

Well, unfortunately I cant take my PC back to the repair shop anytime soon (my truck is in the repair shop as well). So how do I reset my BIOS myself, or what do I need to do to get the new processor reconized before its corrupted, if it isnt yet?

Updating and resetting the BIOS are two different things with different effects. Resetting the BIOS will not do anything for your situation. Flashing or updating the BIOS might. You need to determine if your motherboard even supports the new CPU with any BIOS version. Just because it is the same socket number and it physically fits on the motherboard, doesn't mean it is compatible with the motherboard. If it is, you need to download and update or flash the BIOS to the new version according the instructions in your PC or motherboard manual. Different motherboards can have different procedures and options so it isn't practical to give you some generic method. It might help if you gave your complete PC specs.

It is possible the motherboard simply does not support the new CPU and you can't use it.

"Well, unfortunately I cant take my PC back to the repair shop anytime soon (my truck is in the repair shop as well)"...

Solonor, we all have a friend or two don't we? I even have friends that drive, imagine that! Can you possibly get one of your friends to drive you to the repair shop? You shouldn't have to pay for any further service regarding the CPU

Back