Computer only runs for 2 seconds before power supply sparks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tried twice now to turn on my computer, but each time the computer only turned on for two seconds then i saw a blue spark from the power supply, which died immediately and never turned on again. The power supply was an Enermax Noisertaker rated for 420W.

My system consists of the following:
- Chaintech Zenith Value Edition VNF4 Ultra Motherboard
- AMD Athlon 64 bit 300+ cpu
- ATI Radeon x700 pro video card
- Audigy 2 ZS audio card

I have no idea why it keeps on dying.

well its prolly busted for now, either get a refund if u can or see if u can exchange it for another one, ur system can easily handle it, dont know much about that mobo manufacturer tho

Looks like you may have messed with the voltage selector on the PSU.
This should be set to 115v for USA, 220/240v for most European countries.

If you are lucky, you may get a warranty-replacement.

Try replaceing the fuse I had one blow on me and I replaced the fuse and it works fine. :bounce:

hmmm.....

nothing on the mobo looks fried, so things there look fine.

i asked around and i got this piece of advice.
The motherboard is huge, so it fits pretty snugly in my case.
The problem with that is that since its a metal case, if something from the case is touching any circuit, it could send everything back to the power supply without damaging anything.

so i think i'm going to take out the mobo, graphics card, ram, and memory and just plugging that in bare to see if it works. if it doesn't, then that's still at least one problem solved.

about the power supply switch suggestion, i think that's probably not it, since the power supply specifically says it can operate on both 115 or 230 because it'll adjust on its own. thanks though.

i did already get a replacement of the first power supply. now that i've fried the second one, they still say they'll replace it. i think taht's pretty cool. go microcenter!

the power supply's make doesn't let me change the fuse. it's sort of stupid, but that's how it's made.

only runs for 2 seconds before power supply sparks

From my limited knowledge on repairing PC's I'd tend to go with RBS (he's up early!) with a defective mobo - however, you might want to isolate the defect further by removing the other power rails to like CD-rom, or CDRW or other peripheral drives.

It's a pity about lack of access to the fuse - because it sounds like that's where the blue flash is comming from. If you could replace the fuse each time you disconnected a periheral component then you could narrow it down to the culprit. Of course a digital multimeter would also be helpful.

Regards

PFJ

Personally sounds to me you got a surge voltage . Check your ATX connector that goes from power supply to motherboard physically remove it and look. And just becuse you have a surge supressor does not mean you cannot have a surge espically if one you do not have a ground and two the surge supressor is a chepie...

Let us know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back