Computer powers up and then just shuts off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jase123

Hi to all... im having a little problem today when i got in i turned my computer on but all i got was a big bang . so i cut the power off and opened my computer. i could not smell any burning, so i changed the psu with an old one i have which is 300 watt where as the other one was 650 watt it then powered up and come on but when it gets to the xp loading it just shuts off could any one here help me diagnose this problem..... Thanks

I think my other power supply unit has blown for some reason. because when i use that i get no power.

Not good news - your PSU went bang and took things with it.
Try disconnecting all IDE/SATA drives and take any daughterboards like modems and graphics out. Reboot. One beep is good; power off and now put the boards back (graphics first) and reboot. Keep going until you find out the item with a short in it.
NO beeps is bad and means a fried board. Sorry.

ok thanks il try now but i just dont know how it could just do that the psu is newand the motherboard is new and the cpu

you support The Potters and I support Manchester City so we both know that sh*t happens.
Like the fuse in the mains plug has blown as well?

disconnected everythin aprt from the cpu and still it just keeps shutting its self off

ive only just paid for a new mobo and psu and ram this is pissin me offff.. but if this was the mobo why is it powerin up and i see everythin on the monitor then after 10 secs of booting it will jus shut down str8 away .... it was workin fine last night then i came to turn it on today then bang all the electric went off then i tried that psu again but that doesnt work and i tried another one then it boots and shuts off.... really need help on this.. im stunned

From what you say I think what happened was that the new PSU blew. This created a power surge with buggered the new motherboard. Get them both replaced under warranty.
When you boot, what beeps do you get? 1 beep is good.
Also, does the CPU fan spin (if not it will cut out automatically).

hi thanks for the info ... about beeps the new mobo never beeps even when it was working so i just connect it up to the monitor see if i get a display .. and yes the cpu fan dus spin but ive had another problem now it wont even power up and everythin is connected. If the psu blew and took the mobo with it then would the shop replace the mobo or not? Also i was using a 650 watt with only 2gb ram intel pentium d 160gb hdd thats is basically could that of been overpowerin which caused it too blow.. i had 650 watt in because i was waiting for an ati x1950 pro graphics card.. Also would this psu be powerful enough for 2gb of ram, intel pentium d. 160gb h.d.d, exhaust blower and an ati x1950 pro graphics card? http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-089-AN&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=103

I agree entirely with AlbertLionheart, the psu has blown and fried other components as well. It might just be the reason you were having problems with your video card in your other thread.

The only thing you can do is to diagnose which parts are faulty and replace them.

You can`t use too much power in a computer, so the size of your psu is not a factor, but rather it`s the quality of the psu that`s important.

Regards Howard :)

no the graphics card didnt work before this happened ... and now my computer wont even power up.. do You think ill need a new motherboard?

And like i say if the psu blew the mobo up could i get the mobo replace by the shop or wnt they?

I`d say it`s quite likely the mobo has been damaged. We see this all to often when a psu blows. It sends a large voltage spike through the mobo and damages it beyond repair. It`s also possible it`s blown other components as well, such as ram/cpu etc.

yes there arnt it just looks brand new so i think ill try get another one of them hehe just send them an email now...

Howard mate do you know of a good excuse to say to them??

Regards Jase

yes but i did send them an email when i got it it saying it worked ..... do you think they will believe me lol

Just because something works ok initially, doesn`t mean it can`t fail at a later date.

All you can do is try and see what happens.

ok thanks Howard ill send them an email now and see lol.. ill let you know if they wil replace it lol... Hope so it will save me abit of cash lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back