Computer randomly freezes/restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, my problem is that my computer randomly freezes or restarts at times, even a blue screen. Usually, it happens on the desktop and sometimes while playing games or surfing the web. What happens is that my USB keyboard and USB mouse just powers off and doesn't respond. When that happens, my screen freezes and I basically have to manually restart my computer. That happens most of the time, random restarts is also another problem although it doesn't happen as often as the freezing. It would basically just restart my computer, whether I'm playing a game, surfing the web, or just idling on the desktop. The final problem is the blue screen, though it RARELY occurs. Don't really have to describ this since it's just a normal blue screen, do I? It would be greatly appreciated if I could get some help on this problem.

These are my computer specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Processor
P5Q PRO motherboard
Geforce 7900 GT graphics card
2 GB of RAM
700 watt power supply
and two HDD's raided.

A friend of mine built my computer, and I forgot what type of RAM and HDD I had him buy, so I'm clueless on that. I recently installed a new CPU, mobo, and power supply; the rest of the parts are about two-three years old.

You didn't include the OS which would have been helpful, but let's 'assume' it's Windows XP for directions. We can try to find any Error that corresponds to the freeze. So when you do get the freeze, look at the computer clock to check time. The Errors are time coded.

Find the Error(s)in the Event Viewer that correspond to the freeze:
Start> Run> cmd> type in eventvwr

Description of the Event Viewer:
Unfortunately, many Windows XP users aren't aware of the Event Viewer, what it is, where it is, how it can help with a problem:
The Event Viewer has logs for everything that happens on the computer. There are three sets of logs: System, Applications and Security. By opening the first two to display the Events, you can look for Errors that correspond to the time of the problem- in your case, the crash.

There are three types of Events in the System and Apps logs:
1. Information (white circle w/blue i): this is just basic documentation of the normal working of the System or Apps.
2. Warnings (yellow triangle w/black exclamation mark) noting some problem at that moment. Warnings usually resolve on their own. If they do not, they become>>>
3. Errors (red circle w/white X- they document something that didn't work or isn't happening as it should. Each Errors has three parts: an ID#, a Source and a Description. By doing a right click> Properties, the Error will open to a screen that can be copied. These three parts taken together can usually lead to cause and resolution.

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:
Click to open the log> look for the Error> right click on the Error> Properties> Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow and Paste here (Ctrl V)

You can ignore the Categories 1 and 2. If you have a recurring Error with same ID#, same Source and same Description, only one copy is needed. You don't need to include the lines of code in the box below the Description, if any.

Please do not copy the entire Event log.
If you have Vista, the path will be slightly different.
We can start her and work further if needed.

Yeah, I have Windows XP Professional.

Applications:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 11/19/2008
Time: 5:21:05 PM
User: N/A
Computer: RYOMA
Description:
Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module comctl32.dll, version 6.0.2900.2180, fault address 0x00010c7e.

Event Category: (100)
Time: 5:21:08 PM
Description:
Faulting application drwtsn32.exe, version 5.1.2600.0, faulting module dbghelp.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x0001295d.

Event Source: SecurityCenter
Event ID: 1802
Time: 5:10:42 PM
Description:
The Windows Security Center Service was unable to establish event queries with WMI to monitor third party AntiVirus and Firewall.

Time: 4:44:34 PM
Description:
Faulting application khalmnpr.exe, version 4.60.42.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0012fd8b.

System:

Event Source: DCOM
Event ID: 10010
Time: 5:10:42 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Description:
The server {8BC3F05E-D86B-11D0-A075-00C04FB68820} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Okay, let's work on these:
1. Error 1000, Source: Application Error, Desc. Khalmnpr.exe>>
Logitech SetPoint for Bluetooth Mice and Keyboard
SetPoint crashes frequently:
* Try reinstalling your Logitech drivers and SetPoint.
* If the problem persists, you can uninstall the SetPoint software with no ill effects.
FYI: Details: Logitech Bluetooth mouse Hardware Abstraction layer. A "hardware abstraction layer" is an interface that enables adding support for new devices and new ways of connecting devices to the computer, without modifying every application that uses the device. "This process is Logitech's mouse sensitivity monitor. When you enable Logitech's own sensitivity management, this process is required. This will allow you to change sensitivity on a per program level using their profile manager inside SetPoint."

2. Error 1000, Source: Application Error, Desc. Explorer/comctl32.dll
The File that contains several common GUI components used by
Windows applications. It is the code in support (primarily) of the selection window you get in
Open/Save As. Errors are usually due to corrupt or missing file.
Start> Run> type in: sfc /scannow
Enter. Have Windows XP CD available if needed.
This is the system file checker and should fix any system files that need
fixing.
3. Error 1000, Source: Application Error, Desc. drwtsn32.exe/dbghelp.dll
Dr. Watson is a program error debugger that gathers information about your computer when an error (or user-mode fault) occurs with a program. When an error is detected, Dr. Watson creates a text file (Drwtsn32.log) that can be delivered to support personnel by the method they prefer. This file "dbghelp.dll" is related to Windows Image Helper. Try the following:
Start>Run> type this without quotes:
"regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\dbghelp.dll"

4. Error 10010, Source: DCOM, Desc. can't access server {8BC3F05E-D86B-11D0-A075-00C04FB68820}
This GUID belongs to Windows Management Instrumentation Service. The error when the server was launched but there was no reply from the server.It appears that some MS patch changed the permissions on the "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID" registry key. In order to resolve the problem, the following permissions were added: Authenticated users: Read access; Network Service: Full control".

Please see this for possible cause and resolution for Event 10010:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;839880
Please advise system status when Errors have been handled.

Main source for Event Information> EventID.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back