Computer Randomly Restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryboto

Random BSODs NEED ADVICE

OK...i was having bsod errors, with my new hard drive. I've got an older drive, that has a complete install of windows xp, with all the drivers for my current system. so, I'm using it now, only, randomly it will just reboot, no bsod, no log of it rebooting. Could this be power related?? I'm hoping it is, as I'm using my old psu(spare), waiting for my Noisetaker to return from the RMA process..

Try turning off automatic reboot option , so that Windows will provide you with some Error messages that you can troubleshoot with.

if windows were giving blue screens, they'd be reported in event viewer...and since they're not, I'm going to assume there is no blue screen. I've experienced blue screens that only flash very quick, but this instance is different, the system restarts as if I hit the reset button.

That does make more sense that PSU is a possibility. I take it the resets are not the same as the Errors on the new drive.
What is the power rating on the PSU ?Your system would draw more than average.
However, while you wait for your new PSU , you might want to just check CMOS settings, maybe a Bios update that refers to your configuration and a memory test would not hurt, but I think this is less likely.

the bios is the most up to date. I've ran memtest86 for 9.5 hours, 26 passes. I am definitely going to need to reformat my new drive, as it has become incredibly slow. This is not simply a defragmentation issue, I believe some system files may have become corrupt, or possibly some of the drivers. My usb mouse lags, and my usb webcam only shows a blank image, after reinstalling the drivers for both. Windows on my new drive takes about 2-3 minutes to load, much of that time is loading my startup programs after I log in, and the new drive has less programs running at startup than the old. Someone suggested the file system may be corrupt, yet, chkdsk doesn't see any errors. It takes a long time to complete, but still, no errors..

edit: as far as the psu goes, it's an old enermax whisper series 460W. It is not atx2.0 compliant, has only 1 12v rail. It has 33A on the 12v, and 35A on both the 3.3 and 5v rails.

so, i set it to not reboot after errors, and i've gotten two blue screens so far, each as random as ever. one was 0x00000044, and the other was 0x00000019. Neither show up in envent viewer as minidumps....i just wish my psu was back, so i could try it.

if system files have been corrupted run System File Checker. put the XP disk in the drive and open a command prompt. type sfc /scannow this will replace any damaged or missing system files. it wont solve hardware problems though.

already ran the sfc, found no issues. I know it's not a ram problem. And it's happening with two different hard drives that have different windows installations. So, it's not the hdd's. It's either the cpu, motherboard, video card, wireless lan card, or the psu. How do i test the first two? As far as the video card, i played games last night, once for an hour, then for 20 minutes an hour later. The pc stayed on for 3 hours with no errors, then as soon as i ended the game i was greeted with a blue screen.

there are no minidumps, i said that previously. I'll get bluescreens, but event viewer doesn't have any info on minidumps. I'll check the directory when i get home to be sure.

here are some minidumps from my new harddrive. Currently, as I've mentioned in my many threads, I am using my older installation of windows. For some reason, even though I encounter blue screens using this installation, there is no minidump folder, and the bsods are not reported in event viewer.

edit: the dump files aren't actual zip archives, i just renamed then, adding .zip to the end.

ok...i know it's rude of me to demand help...but this is incredibly frustrating...the thing just rebooted 4 times after being on for an hour. 4 blue screens, two ending in A, two in 8E, one of them listed win32k.sys as the issue, but there are no minidump files. I really need some suggestions.

i removed the wireless card from my pc, to reduce the number of trouble sources. I think it may be bad. I ran 3dmark 2003, 2005, prime95(1.5hr), and all the while an instance of folding@home was running. So, it's either the wireless card is bad, or, the psu i'm using has issues supplying power to the card. I've installed my tv-capture card into the system to test the latter theory, but, I didn't have time to leave the thing on this morning and see if an error occurs....which is the worst part of all this, since the errors are random, I can't just boot up the machine and right away know if it's working, i have to wait anywhere form 3min-3 hours.

ok, i put the card back in, and I was able to find a combination of programs that causes a blue screen. If i have xfire open, and i'm in a voice chat, and I play an online game, the pc will show a blue screen and restart. I can play games fine, indefinitely it seems, and i don't get a blue screen, but when I use my usb headset and a game, it crashes. The last time this happened, the bsod showed "driver irq not less than or equal", with a code of 0x000000D1, and suggesting tcpip.sys is the culprit, upon restarting and logging in, as the system was loading drivers/startup programs, i ran into the same error, only it listed ntfs.sys...at least i think that was the file. Regardless, I think i'm having an irq issue. Can i have a driver irq problem? and how to i fix it...i've only got two pci slots, and i've tried using both..

so, I'm running in safe mode with networking support...risky, as I have no virus protection in safe mode, but still, I have no crashes. Someone in another forum suggested that it may be the virus prorgram i use(nod32), so, i uninstalled it, restarted my machine, and attempted to use my headset(as that usually seems to accelerate the crashing process) in a voip call. After about 2 minutes, it crashed. So, the virus program wasn't the problem...what should I try next? uninstalling individual drivers?

at the moment I am unable to analyze as I am not at home. However, get yourself a copy of AVG free antivirus if you aren't using one. I would check to make sure all my drivers were up to date and also run memtest 86+ from a floppy to check my memory.

So, i guess I spoke too soon. I just got a new BSOD in safe mode, Bugcode USB driver. Not sure what it means...but, now, i'm just as lost as ever.

Just got home.... all your minidumps are corrupt and cannot be read.... I would start troubleshooting with removing everything except the basics, motherboard, video, and ram.
Ensure all drivers and BIOS are up to date.
Reseat your RAM and video card.
If you got no errors with memtest after about 7 passes, your RAM should be ok.

Have you checked some settings in Cmos , video shadow ,Legacy card support,irq conflicts.
Also a PSU that is not ver 2.* ATX compatible is going to cause some issues.
You may want to wait for your new one, and then format/reload your

ok, here's an update..
not sure why those minidumps are corrupt, the windows debugging utility i have on my pc reads them fine. I HAVE TESTED MY RAM for 9.5 hours with memtest86...please remember this. 26 passes. no errors.

Last night I believe my pagefile became corrupt due to the persistent blue screens. Even after I removed my wireless card, it was greeted with the page file blue screen. So, i deleted it, and made a new one this morning, and then played FEAR for 3 hours on and off. During this, the wirleless card was physically installed, but I did not install the drivers for it. I will continue to use my pc in this manner until i see a blue screen. If i don't, then I know it's a driver conflict. I just find it odd, as the system was fine two weeks ago. I hate my roomates. Regardless, the system appears stable as long as I do not install the drivers for the wireless card.

As far as the atx 2.0 specification, doesn't it just require 2 or more 12V rails, and a pci-e connector? my motherboard doesn't require a pci-e connector, it just uses a standard 4-pin molex. Maybe some of the issues are psu related...who knows.

Last night, I reinstalled windows on my newer drive. The install was very smooth, 20 minutes was all it took. Installed the wireless card first. The only other hardware I had drivers installed for was the video card. The system was stable for 3 hours, and then i decided to install sound drivers. The install asked me to restart my computer, i chose to restart it later. Then, suddenly, i get a blue screen, an irq not less than or equal, pointing at usbport.sys as the culprit. I have not had time to test the pc without the wireless card installed. Currently, I have the wireless installed in a separate computer, and I'm waiting to see if it becomes unstable.

so, i was using my new install of windows for 2 hours, and then, bsod, page fault error. Then it happened again when I was using firefox, and was met with an irq error, here are all the dumps i've had with this install.(renamed as .zip)

well, I'm using the wireless card now in a second computer, and it seems to be fine. I've been using it for almost an hour. So, I've basically narrowed it down to the motherboard or cpu. I'm going to try one more thing, however, disabling my primary IDE controller. This is basically the one variable that I just realized I didn't change after I cleared cmos. It was disabled prior to the installation of the wireless card, and there are no devices on it. If that still doesn't work, I'm going to remove the optical drives completely, and see if there are any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back