Computer Randomly Turns Off

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JoeM076

I recently installed my hardware components in a new case along with a new hard drive and a new power supply unit. Since the installation everything seemed to be running smoothly, except for the fact that my computer shuts down randomly. When I play Far Cry 2 my computer shuts down consistently after about 20 minutes, and with casual PC use my computer shuts down after about 90 minutes. My guesses for this problem is that there is something wrong with my power supply, despite the fact that it got very good reviews, my motherboard is shot, or some component that is connected to my mobo is overheating. If anyone knows how I can solve this problem, that would be greatly appreciated! :)

PC Specifications:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.7GHz
GPU: XFX Nvidia GeForce 8800GTX
PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139007
Mobo: Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe

Yes JoeM076,
I would say that the Corsair is a great power supply! You have an Asus motherboard. Could it have been damaged by static while moving it into another case. Is everything snug and connected securely? What about properly cleaning the old thermal paste off and reseating the CPUs heatsink and fan. How are the case fans? Are they running freely?

Have you checked your temps? Your computer could be overheating. Try another psu on the computer, if you have one. Try other hardware components to try an isolate the problem.

I don't think the problem would come on the PSU but we never know. Try to clean everything inside the PC and try to check you temperature while computer is working.

Have done any overclocking on you Graphic card or something else?

Also try to use another PSU on that same computer just to be sure that the PSU isn't faulty (maybe from factory, it happens sometimes)

All of the fans are working properly and the inside of my PC is cool so I don't think that's the problem. I'm planning on getting a new motherboard and processor very soon so that will tell me if either one is damaged. My guess is that the motherboard is damaged(very likely) or my PSU is faulty(likely). I'm going to check the connections of my PC to make sure it's not the source of the problem.

Is EVGA and Intel coming out with any new hardware by December? If not, are they coming out a few months later? I'm asking this because I don't want to buy a processor or graphics card and then discover that a new and better product just came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back