Computer resetting issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I've been having a problem with my computer resetting when in windows. No matter what I'm doing the computer will reset itself, boot back up and then give the DISK BOOT FAILURE error. Turning the computer off for a while fixes this problem temporarily, but it's only a matter of time till it happens again. I've got a feeling it's a power supply issue. There are 3 cooling fans in the computer, 2 of which are plugged into the DVD and HDD power sockets, the other one powered by the M/B.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated,

You will need to check your hard drive to make sure it's not the cause of the problem. Download and burn the drive manufacturer's disk check utility to CD or write it to floppy and then boot into either the CD or floppy.

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7602.html

Sudden computer shut off can also be caused by an overheating processor. If you download/install Everest you can take a look at your reported processor and motherboard temps. The temperature of your processor will depend on its type and speed but in most cases it should not be above 45- 50C at idle and usually much lower than that.

Sudden shut downs can also be caused by bad memory. To check your memory you can use the Memtest+ utility. Again download and burn the utility to CD or write it to a floppy and then boot into either the CD of floppy. Let the utility run for eight complete passes. It will take some time depending on your processor speed and the amount of memory you have. Plan on an overnight run.

If your hard drive and memory come up clean and your temps are OK then you may be correct and you should purchase a new PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back