Computer restarts when i get out of chair ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
im just as confused as any one reading this but my comp will restart every time i get out of my chair ? i thought it had something to do with static but i moved my comp to other side of the room and got a new chair but it still does it . any ideas anyone ? :(

Does your room have a wooden floor?
When you take your weight from the chair by getting up, a plank might reach where the PC sits, wobble it, which might cause the reset-button to be activated, because the reset-button is not properly connected.
Open your PC (after you switch it off first and disconnect it from the electricity).
There should be a pair of thin wires going from the front of that PC to the motherboard. The plug on the mobo probably says "Reset". Pull that off but remember where and how it was positioned.
Startup the PC again and move around, get up, sit down etc.
If it is still rebooting when you get up, you have a little Leprechaun hidden inside your PC.
If everything is hunky-dory, follow that reset-cable to the frontpanel. Either replace that switch with a "momentary" push-switch (from any electronics shop for a few cents/pennies) or check if there is a (unused) turbo-switch on the front. Use that switch for "Reset" and lead its cable to where the reset was on the mobo.
Let us know the result please, Leprechaun or wobbly switch.

Still thinking along the same lines as rbs mentioned above with regards to the wooden floor . . make sure your case isn't wedged up against anything.
i.e. make sure that any movement isn't going to make any of the cables entering the back of the case short.

actuly my comp is on a wood computer desk on rollers on a wooded floor but my chair is on carpet (dont ask) i checked all the wireing again and still nuthin but im thinkin its gotto be static somehow cause if i skoot my but across the chair as i get up the comp restarts but if i stand strait up it dont but i cant see how static can go from chair to the carpet across wood floor past the plastic wheels and to my comp
im thinkin i should find a big static proof bag like the ones that hardware come in
and static proof my comp

i think it might just be an evil gremlin or someones horable practical joke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back