Computer seems to be really slow for one reason or another....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1.4 GHZ, 128 rambus memory, 40Gig hard drive, running on windows Xp and seems to run really slow before dat i was running on me and was still running slow so i thought upgrading it might fix the problem and seems it hasnt done a thing. so i think it might be the ram and i should add some more ram into the system to fix the problem... dont know if it will fix it or not and thought i might get some opinion on it from some ppl that know hardware and softwares for comptuers :-D if you could help i would really be thankful for you advice and help. Spanks for your time :-D
James D. E.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Windows xp is quite a lot more memory intensive than Windows Me.

So I would agree that more ram would help.

However there are some things you could do to help.

Run a defrag clean out any temp files including temporary internet files and cookies.

You can download CCleaner from http://www.ccleaner.com/

I have found over the years that a little regular house cleaning can make a big difference to how fast a system will run.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

I would like to also suggest DefragMyHardDrive [it is FREE]
for a simple and convenient way to defrag [also clean] your hard drives

With all honesty I dont think Defragging a NTFS HD is worth the trouble more then once every couple of months. I would strongly suggest getting more RAM.

Just thought i would add my thoughts

Sean

I dont dispute that. But if our drives are full of clutter, and fragmented, they will operate inefficiently - my $0.02 also :)

BTW, how DO you add links in here - mine were rejected ??

You need to have more than 3 posts, just to deter spammers and keep the site clean :)

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot

Have you looked in task manager to see what's using all the cpu or mem?
What are you doing when it slows down? Or is it slow in general?

that would definitely be a ram issue... the minimum suggested ram for XP is 128... so youre runnin at minimum. I would advise a RAM upgrade, definitely. However, it is always good to keep your drives clean and defragmented. I run a monthly defrag on my old machine (800mhz WinXP) and it runs like a charm.

Its said that even adding a little RAM can almost double the apparent speed of your machine. (obviously not processor-wise, but boot-up and program opening and pretty much everything will work faster and better)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back