Computer Stuck In Cycle With Blue Screen/windows Splash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legoflamb

Ok so my computer is this:

amd 64 3700
asus a8n-e
windows xp sp2

I was using it fine a few minute ago then while i was using winamp i accidently hit the shortcut key to log me off windows - when i tried to go back in by clicking my name it thought about it for a few seconds then gave me a blue screen maybe 3 or 4 lines of writing with a number at the start.

The thing is it disappears really quickly so I can't tell what it's saying.

I went to the boot menu thing and tried safe-mode and starting windows with last good config but nothing is working. It still gives me the writing and blue screen no matter what I do.

I've unplugged it as well to give it a cold boot but nothing is happening.

Does anyone know what the blue screen might be saying to me or anyway to fix this?

Is it software or something much worse?

My next idea is to whack my windows cd in and try to repair it but I just know I'm goign to need to reformat or something :(

Thanks in advance

windows will generate a minidump file for every bsod it comes up with. they are stored in the %systemroot%/minidump folder of the hdd. if you can access safe mode, zip 5-6 of a few recent ones and post them here. alternatively if you cant, then use a Linux Live CD like Knoppix to copy that and also your important data, just in case. post the attachment here (minidump.zip) and someone here can read it..

fix

Pop in your windows cd and run repair. When command prompt comes up run chkdsk /r then reboot. If it still exists, run reapir again then run fixboot and fixmbr. For more info on these tools use fixboot /? or fixmbr /?.

This resolves about 4 outta 5 computers with this problem that I have run across (I'm a tech for a school district). If this does not work then I have no other solution. I came across one of these and tried running the operation above, and I tried resetting cmos, swapping out hard drive, ram, and video card and nothing. Even imaged/ghosted from another computer and problem still showed up, so my guess is that the motherboard is the culprit. I have not tried flashing the motherboard bios to see if that works.

If chkdsk fails or comes back with bad sectors than that could be it. I have not run across a bad hard drive with this problem though.

Just don't format. If your HD is bad, you can at least hook it up as a slave and pull your files over.

updated chkdsk command.

ok i've tried to run chkdsk but it tells me it looks ot be in good condition but if i still want to run it press /p

so i do c:\windows\chkdsk/p and it won't do it I don't understand how to get ti to actually do it. Just keeps telling me it's a command it doesn't understand even though it just told me to do it!!

shall i jsut skip it and run the other things?

thanks for the replies.

ok so i did chkdsk /p /r and it did about 33% then decided not to do any more and told me there was 1 or more unreadable problems or something

then i did fixboot and it did it dead quick and told me it was successful and the same with fixmbr

i typed exit and tried to boot windows but it's still doing it.

I have done all that in the right order? what else can I do I'm really at a loss here :(

i did chkdsk again and it's telling me there's un recoverable errors does this mean the hard drive is broken or will a reformatt and reinstall of everything do the trick?

?

ok so i wanna transfer my stuff off it now before i run a djagnostics thing?

I downloaded the powermax thing earlier i jsut need to extracti t and put it so it'll boot on a floppy.

well i do suggest taking your most important ones off simply because if there is a sector that needs to be fixed, the diagnostic app (depending on how it works) may write over it or relocate that peice.. and if you had a file there it could make it not look right (corupt)...

and like anything data/digital, things tend to dissapear when not careful...

fix and help

i am a pc technition myself and really stuck!
i keep getting the blue screen of death!
the message is always the same "page_fault_in_non_paged_area"
it wont let me start in any mode including safe mode
i have tried to repair my xp with the win cd
completly reboot
still the same problem.
i know the fault is with the page file.
i know the fix(right click on mycomputer, properties,advanced,performance,disable the page file, restart do the same process and enable it)
i cant even get into safemode!
i know i can fix this problem by formatting, but i dont want too loose my files
i have a 250 gig sata
with 3 partitions
boot
restore
and drivers
please can someone email me the fix as im always on the move
mikex83x@yahoo.co.uk
thanks

well if i was you i'd whack the hard drive in another computer and set the jumper to slave and transfer you're important stuff across and then give it a reformat.

incidently does anyone know why this ridiculous **** happens?

You might of been blocked out by ms. I would call them and raise h... It sounds like you have lost your registration. I have had this happen when alt and other keys were accidentally pressed at the same time. I have wondered if some hackers have used something like this, and ms has retaliated. You can buy a good hard drive to back up your files from izzyscomputerdepot.com. for about $20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back