Computer won’t boot, fan starts and stops, motherboard flashes

My computer would not start today. I pushed the start button and the case fan would spin a little and stop repeatedly, the graphics card light would flash, the mother board has an ezdebug feature and the light next to the cpu option was blinking. That’s as much as it will do now. The fan will even spin for a bit after I flip the power switch off, but eventually stops.

I have looked online for fixes, I cleaned out the dust with compressed air, I have tried plugging the power cord into a different outlet, removed and reinstalled the MOBO battery, held the start button after turning off the power, reinstalled the graphics card (which I had to take out to get to the battery). So far no changes.

I built the computer over a year ago and until now it worked fine. If anyone has a fix for this please help me.

Here are the computer specs

tower cooler- Cryorig h7
CPU- Intel core I7 4ghz
Hardrive- sandisk ssd plus 240 gb solid state drive
Power- Corsair cx600 600w
Video card- MSI Geforce gtx 1060
Motherboard - MSI B150M bazooka
Windows 10

Sounds like the PSU - Power Supply Unit might be faulty. You could get a multi-tester to check out the PSU to see if AC/DC or Volts are correct before you go out and buy another one much larger one. Can you tell me what happen prior to this problem. Did this hardware ever work? If it did what happen? Did you have Brown-out that's when the power goes off and quickly goes back on.

Would you have to unplug the entire power supply unit to test it?

I’m not sure if there was a brown out, but we had been switching off the power to different rooms in the house. Although I’m not sure if it stopped working at the exact same day.

The computer worked fine for a year. In the last few months it would sometimes not start unless I turned off the power strip connected to the wall outlet and then turned it back on.

Thanks.

Sounds more like a PSU problem than anything else, but other candidates can include voltage regulation on motherboard and a bad fuse on your power strip. "Test Power Supply with multitester" - (search in YouTube)

If your exdebug translates to a specific alert (check manual) tell us about that. Otherwise, in your shoes I would disassemble everything and build it back bit by bit while checking for the 'right' error alerts from ezdebug and/or beep codes (I.e, if memory and video card are removed, alert should point at error in RAM, replace RAM and error should point at video card, etc). If no error report it is because something really basic is broken, then it is PSU, motherboard, CPU - easiest to check is to replace PSU with a known good. CPUs and motherboards can be checked at local repair shop but try to prove their reputation before going in for help.

If anyone knows a way to check CPU or motherboard individually, I would love to hear it. None of my multiple systems or those of my 'best' friends are compatible....

Sounds more like a PSU problem than anything else, but other candidates can include voltage regulation on motherboard and a bad fuse on your power strip. "Test Power Supply with multitester" - (search in YouTube)

If your exdebug translates to a specific alert (check manual) tell us about that. Otherwise, in your shoes I would disassemble everything and build it back bit by bit while checking for the 'right' error alerts from ezdebug and/or beep codes (I.e, if memory and video card are removed, alert should point at error in RAM, replace RAM and error should point at video card, etc). If no error report it is because something really basic is broken, then it is PSU, motherboard, CPU - easiest to check is to replace PSU with a known good. CPUs and motherboards can be checked at local repair shop but try to prove their reputation before going in for help.

If anyone knows a way to check CPU or motherboard individually, I would love to hear it. None of my multiple systems or those of my 'best' friends are compatible....

Back in the day the CPU would be checked by swapping it out for another one. But let's work on PSU. RAM swapping can be tricky Could be bad Video Card but most likely it is the PSU.

Would you have to unplug the entire power supply unit to test it?

I’m not sure if there was a brown out, but we had been switching off the power to different rooms in the house. Although I’m not sure if it stopped working at the exact same day.

The computer worked fine for a year. In the last few months it would sometimes not start unless I turned off the power strip connected to the wall outlet and then turned it back on.

Thanks.

Let me get this straight the system as been running none stop for year? Have you connected the computer to another wall outlet. O try to use a different power strip. To tell if that power strip is gong bad could be faulty also. Try swapping that out as well. PSU sounds like it has gone bad. There are a few things you can try.. Swap out power cords, Swap out the outlets, You should have APC on that computer to prevent power issues. Do you get a lot of brown-outs and you shutdown the power in the room that doesn't mean much. Open the case don't touch anything turn it on does the CPU fan spin fast right away or does it spin slow... The case fan also does it do the same thing?

Ok thanks for the replies. I think I fixed my issue. While I was looking at my motherboard I noticed that the cpu fan was connected to the sys fan outlet, and that one of the case fans was connected to the motherboard cpu fan outlet.
I swapped the position of these cables and tried to start the computer. It started up perfectly. I am amazed that it worked so long with these cables out of order.

Thanks again!

I have had that problem over the years with two decktop computers. After trying all of the suggestions posted across the internet with cleaning and changing ram and power supplys and rain dancing I accidently found the problem when as a last resort I changed the mother board and did not take the time to hookup the tiny plugs to RESET/LED LIGHT/HD LIGHT/PWR. I just used a screwdriver to tap on the two _ + pins to simiulate hitting the start button.

The CPU fan came on and the computer booted. I used an OHM meter to check the continuity across the two wires to the power button and found they were just slightly shorted ON. I pressed the button a few times and the meter would show full connected ON after I let go of the button. If the power button stays on for more the 5 seconds the motherboard detects a short and turns off the system. ( When you press the power button it gives a kick to the motherboard to start. Once you let go the power button returns to off. It is not like an ON/OFF light switch) Most of you knew that. LOL

I found an old XP box with the same switch and changed the out. The computer started up the first time and runs fine.

Back