Computer won't boot after applying arctic silver 5 thermal compound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

This is a weird problem that I have for a couple of days now and I cannot figure out why. About 3 days ago, my computer was running fine after a reformat. About two days afterward, I decided to borrowed some of my friend's arctic silver 5 compound because computer temperature seemed to be high. After applying a decent amount of thermal compound on top of the CPU and under the heatsink as well, I put the heatsink back in. So then I turned on the computer, however, the computer starts up fine with all case fans running including the one on the graphics card. But there is one problem. My monitor kept saying no input as there is no signal coming from the graphics card. To troubleshoot, I rewired everything and made sure everything was seated properly yet to no avail. I came to the conclusion that I either fried my CPU or my motherboard is dead somehow. I have an old Intel computer at home also but it's so old that it doesn't have an AGP slot where I can test my gfx card. Please help me as I am very frustrated and don't know what to do. Thank you in advance for your help.

you may have damaged the socket taking off your heatsink. Sorry not much more to offer. Did you check to make sure all power connections are properly seated?

yes I've made sure all power connections are connected and I even rewired and redid them just to make sure but the problem still persists.

sounds like a short.. does your system boots the bios in black screen and does it beeps onces... like this start....... beep.

if so try bench testing it.. sounds like a short. somewhere. if there is no beep then... it maybe a serious problem.. it could your MOBO or CPU.

or try this alternative.. use a PCI graphic card for bench testing and adjust your bios there.

my computer does not beep and usually i can hear the sound of the harddrive booting up. However, I do not hear anything from the harddrive and it is hard to tell whether the computer is booting because I can't see anything on the monitor. What do you mean by bench testing it?

1. did you crack the die with too much pressure when putting the cooler back on?
2. did you use appropriate static precautions?
3. did you remove all excess thermal grease?
4. did you spill any conductive grease onto the mobo? Use electronics degreaser
5. did you reconnect cpu power?

I might have damaged the motherboard when I tried to put the heatsink back on. The heatsink clips ontop the motherboard so I might have put too much pressure on one side of the clip and it slipped and damaged the motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back