Computer wont turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

anybodykilla

I'm sure you guys might have seen this before but i searched and looked for some things on this site and I have a different problem.

In my computer upstairs I have a NVIDA Geforce 6600 GT Graphics Card.
I went to play my game and it said your graphics card is outdated.
So I went to the site and installed NVIDA Geforce 6600 GT graphics card.
At the end of the instalation my computer restarted,
When my computer was loading up it was working fine, then when it gets to the part where it says windows, it doesnt show that part and stays black almost a really really dark blue color.
Is there any solution to this?

Boot into Safe Mode (tap F8 after turning on your PC and you'll get a list with Safe Mode on it). Once you're in, if you are using XP go to Start > Run - for Vista/7 Start > Search. Enter "devmgmt.msc" in Run or Search and take a look in "Display Adapters". Right click your video card, and click "uninstall".

If it's more comfortable to you, check Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel and you'll probably be able to install your video card's drivers and other software in there.

Reboot and you should be set to try and install another video driver.

WAT WAIT!! EDIT: When I Try Going Into Safe Mode. A Blue Box Comes Up That Says Choose A Boot Configeration And If You Put Defualt Boot Then It Does The Same Black Screen And All.
NOTE: Reformating my computer is not a problem but it's a hassle. Thats why I'm trying to figure out a way around this problem because if i dont i have to reinstal my sound driver, my 2 antiviruses, my steam, my games, my yahoo, my macros, my pal talk, My bots. Those are hard to get back in a short ammount of time. Ps: i reformatted this computer atleast 7 times.

Wait a little longer before you start tapping F8 - sometimes manufacturers use F8 as the key which brings up a manual boot selection menu.

A note for you, later on - if you're actually running two anti-viruses actively, you might want to disable or uninstall one. Certain AV combos just don't mix well - and it's a general rule to only have one AV actively protecting a system.

I Tried Hitting F8 on each screen after I restart, i tried it on all of them 1 by 1 and it doesnt work. For The 2 antiviruses, one is spybot search and destroy and one is avast, i use avast to detect viruses and spybot to immune my folders. all of my reformats have been due to viruses, and not hardware issues so that got me really scared of that stuff.

I can almost promise you that you're just hitting it too soon (maybe too late?). Give it a few more tries.

Spybot isn't an anti-virus - so forget about the note I left you above.

Just for the record, what operating system do you use?

Ok Bro, Thanks.. I Was Hitting It To Soon. Haha. But I Have Another Question.
I'm letting the safe mode options load upstairs so I don't have to sit there, Now after I uninstal this graphics card. *I'm useing windows 64bit xp, Asus Motherboard its like A8N-VM*
Now My game is saying I have a NVIDA Geforce 6600 GT. What graphics card should i instal if that one is making my computer bad in order for my game picture to work better.

Are you absolutely positive you have an Nvidia Geforce 6600 GT? Here are the drivers for that card: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp64_185.85_whql.html

They include quite a few other cards so even if you're off by a number in the model it *should* have you covered. To take a look at the video cards supported by that driver click "Products Supported".

Try installing that and see where things stand.

New Problem, I went upstairs after i posted to see if the safe mode was in, after all those words come down from the screen and then it stops. it doesnt go into the safe mode as far as i can see it just stops at the bottem of the commands it says

Try tapping F8 to get to that same menu and see if the "Last Known Good Configuration" will let you back into Windows - otherwise, you can try VGA Mode for the hell of it.

If none of that works, your next line of defense might be a repair installation of XP (it'll keep all of your programs).

Right, but did you uninstall your previous drivers before installing the latest version? If not, it could be the cause of your present troubles.

I don't feel like those other options will work, frankly - if one does, awesome. I assume you have an XP x64 disc though, right?

Ok, I Have A x64 XP Disk. I Tried Useing Just About Every Setting In F8. None Of Them Worked. Should I Try To Put The CD In And Repair Windows?

Also when I restart my computer (beore and after this prob) it says i'm running a NVIDA Geforce 6600 GT
and about your one question, i actually never had any video card installed. its in my computer but it was not instaled with hardware manager, Note: i lost the cd that came with that video card to instal it and hardware adder didnt pick it up

Well, then here: http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=nwcuFMseNd3DhmVA

Same story - click the Download tab, select your OS, and the video/chipset drivers are in VGA and Other.

I would repair XP, yes. Here are the instructions for that: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

What game were you trying to play anyhow?

*Edit*

Right, there is no physical card installed - it's an incorporated on your motherboard :) - which we'd have known earlier if I wasn't too lazy to Google your board sooner.

Yes, But For Some Weird Reason I Can't Install Soundmax, It's Saying These File(s) Are Not Compatible With Your Hardware. Or Something Like That.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back