Confused and Frustrated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently built my first computer. Most everything is going fine, except that my LG DVD burner is not found by my OS (XP Home Edition) in its normal operating mode. However, it is being found in safe mode and it is seen in BIOS.
I have contacted LG about this, but haven't heard anything back yet. I'm not suprised since it was Sunday when I contacted them, but I really want to get the new rig going. Right now it is a really expensive doorstop since I can't get the drivers loaded for everything.
If anyone has any ideas or suggestions it will be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

Forgot to mention that I cannibalized the DVD drive from my old rig since I got it last January when my old drive stopped working. No sense in throwing away $60.

Unless it is an external there won't be drivers for it. Firmware perhaps, but not drivers. Windows uses a generic driver for optical drives.

Check your device manager for any yellow ! Might as well remove the drive from device manager and then reboot.

that's the rub, while yes, windows uses generic drivers, there are cases of some drives needing special drivers or even BIOS updates.

But your advice is probably a little better.

Figured out the problem after consulting with LG and Microsoft. My version of XP preceeded DVD-R technology on computers. Windows was could see the drive, but didn't understand what the drive is supposed to do. Because of that, Windows could only do basic operations in safe mode. The only solution to this problem was to get a newer copy of XP or Vista. My roommate was able to obtain a copy of Vista (really wanted XP, but not an option) through school for me with the student discount.

Thanks again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back