Max 28.6 mb/s
Min 4.1 mb/s

Access time
13.6 ms

Burst Rate 29.7 mb/s

Supported UDMA mode 6 ultra ATA/133
Active mode 2 Ultra ATA/33

then i got so angry to find out that i am runing at ATA/33

with my knowledge i am able to blame the cable i am using i just put it in a year ego thinking that it didnt make a difference which cable i use (very stupid)

So my little confussion is, if i was to change the cable for an ATA133 cable then my transfer rate should get higher almost matching teh cable right?

PS i havent really checked on the cable what it says so could i perhaps be misssing a setting in my bios that limits the cable and transfer to be ata33?

DeepMartin said:
anyways I jsut did a benchmark on my hhd and it said this about it

Hitachi 80gb 7200rpm 2mb buffer

Transfer Rate
AVG 25.7 mb/s
Max 28.6 mb/s
Min 4.1 mb/s

Access time
13.6 ms

Burst Rate 29.7 mb/s

Active mode 2 Ultra ATA/33

then i got so angry to find out that i am runing at ATA/33

with my knowledge i am able to blame the cable i am using i just put it in a year ego thinking that it didnt make a difference which cable i use (very stupid)

So my little confussion is, if i was to change the cable for an ATA133 cable then my transfer rate should get higher almost matching teh cable right?

PS i havent really checked on the cable what it says so could i perhaps be misssing a setting in my bios that limits the cable and transfer to be ata33?

The transfer rate varies between PCs.. If you have ATA 33 and don't have a MOBO (motherboard) that supports ATA 133, then you would need what is called a promise card that would go onto your PCI but those PCI have 33MHz to 66MHZ PCI 2.1 version.

But you HDD is spinning fast at 7200 RPMs and you got 2MB read/write cache. True ATA 33, ATA 66, ATA 100, ATA 133, SATA 150, SATA 300. True the ATA 133 moves more data is is faster than the ATA 33. Cables won't do you need to have a system bus that can handle the speeds and or get a add-on cards. Try online to see if they're still available other than that you might want to look into building a new pc?

Problem Solved

I found my old cable and swaped it

and now my results were

Transfer Rate
AVG 25.7 mb/s after 25.4 mb/s
Max 28.6 mb/s after 57.8 mb/s
Min 4.1 mb/s after 0.7 mb/s

Access time
13.6 ms after 13.4 ms

Burst Rate 29.7 mb/s after 103.8 mb/s

Active mode 2 Ultra ATA/33 after active UDMA mode 6 ultra ATA/133

DeepMartin said:
This is my motherboard
and it says
"Storage Controller Type(s) DMA/ATA-133 (Ultra) x 2"

so then i dont need an add-on pci card

Then you're set! Check the control panel under system and then click on hardware devices and look for the HDD right click on the hard drive and make sure it using the best performance. Also make sure that your MOBO is using the latest chipset drivers
these chipset drivers have IDE and PCI bus improvements and stuff like that.

Buying a ATA 133 cable or one rated to support would be okay. Don't buy fancy kind well those fancy kind do help with air flow in the PC. ATA 133 ribbon cable should have a blue end and grey end. If you just bot the ones with black on both ends then you got the wrong cable. Cost is around $3 to 4 bucks or less at a Computer Fair at High School or College.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back