Connect Printer to wireless router, Kind of

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in a home with some roommates. Downstairs there is a modem connected into a wireless router. I use the internet that is broadcasted from that router. I have a printer upstairs in my room. I would like to be able to view the printer on my laptop and wirelessly print from it. To do this i obviously have to have the printer upstairs somehow connect with the router downstairs.

The only idea i have is to get a 2nd wireless router and put in my bedroom and plug my printer into it. Could that second wireless router then connect to the 1st wireless router downstairs? Would i then be able to wirelessly print to my printer? If so how do i do this?

I think setting up a second router just to share the printer would be more trouble than its worth. A better option might be to just buy a wireless print server. Something that is made specifically for what you want to do.

I live in a home with some roommates. Downstairs there is a modem connected into a wireless router. I use the internet that is broadcasted from that router. I have a printer upstairs in my room. I would like to be able to view the printer on my laptop and wirelessly print from it. To do this i obviously have to have the printer upstairs somehow connect with the router downstairs.
And what's stopping this from working?
If you know the SSID and the encryption passphase, this should be doable.
The only idea i have is to get a 2nd wireless router and put in my bedroom and plug my printer into it. Could that second wireless router then connect to the 1st wireless router downstairs? Would i then be able to wirelessly print to my printer? If so how do i do this?
should not be necessary, but it is possible, depending upon the first issue above.

And what's stopping this from working?
If you know the SSID and the encryption passphase, this should be doable.should not be necessary, but it is possible, depending upon the first issue above.
Yes. So i think alphnumeric hit the nail on the head?
I think setting up a second router just to share the printer would be more trouble than its worth. A better option might be to just buy a wireless print server. Something that is made specifically for what you want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back