Connecting to Domain Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Network geek

Ok here is my problem, I am currently putting in new cat5 cables all through the building, and when I attempt to switch over a desktop running NT, it wont find the domain right away. I have to logon and then back off about 15 times or so, before it will find the domain controller. Now when I do the same thing with desktops running 2k or XP, everything is fine. Now the biggest stumper here that I have link lights at both ends. Here is the list of things that I have checked

Wire pattern at both ends (568b)
All the Nic card settings are correct (auto sense)
etc

As far as things like my IP address are concerned nothing has changed, just the wire and the pin out, but after multi restarts and attempts at logging on, it works. Oh and my PDC is running NT. Please let me know if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks
Kasey

Random questoins that might jar an idea

1. Have you checked the line strenth/atenuation/noise levels with a Fluke or similar tester?

2. Have you cleared the ARP/DNS tables on the NT Client machine, basically forcing it to forget the old settings in case something HAS changed?

2.5 Have you changed any of the intermediary equipment? LIke from a hub to a switch, an unmanaged device to a managed device? Have you tried checking the conf on those if you have replaced those units?

3. If you go back to old cable after testing the new, does it immediately work like it should again?

4. Do the NT Server logs (security, system, or application) indicate any sort of failure?

5. Have you tried putting a packet sniffer in the path, see what comes up, see if an error is bouncing back and forth?

Just a few ideas for you to mull over... look forward to your response.

Yes i have checked for noise, atenuation, etc and nothing in that aspect

i will have to try to clear the ARP/DNS, i think that may fix my problem

yes i have change my intermediarty equipment, but i'm not sure that will cause any problems.

yes if i got back to my old wire, it will work fine?

I will check the logs in my Server, not sure if there were any

and i have not tried a packet sniffer, i am not that advanced yet lol

thanks for the reply, i will reseach on how to clear that ARP & DNS and let you know if that works

Kasey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back