Connection issues

Okay so I have been in an argument with my roommates for quite some time over how computers use the internet. Myself and my male roommate don't usually have any issues but my two female roommates always have issues staying connected to home network. Their computers work when they are on campus, but have issues only in the house when they are trying to stay connected. Shouldnt the issues be with their computers and not the fact that we use the internet? It is my understanding that if a system is on the internet and another tries to join it will give priority to both users or split the bandwidth among both computers. So if their computers cannot connect then it should be their issue correct? Thanks for any and all help!

Your basic understanding is correct. To ensure least problems, the first law of problem solving is:
  • make sure all system drivers are at the latest levels of firmware
  • and that includes the firmware of the router.
However, when multiple devices are concurrently active, they can interfere with each other.
Example, gaming and playing videos have hi rates of arrival AND can have packet reassembly issues.

To reduce impact to the router, here's a fix to improve packet reassembly:
  • find WAN side configuration page
  • alter the MTU from 1500 to 1492
  • save the settings
  • which should restart the router; it not do so manually.

Back