CONROE with SLI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moimit

I have been looking at moving to conroe as it has recently has upstaged the X2's but i really want to get into SLI but nothing on the market currently seems to have support for it, Only Crossfire. I really want to try the E6300 and the Inno3d 7300GT GDDR3 in SLI that seems to be a cheap but effective performance option. Has anyone seen a release dates on Nforce5 or heard of any I975 chipset that will work with Nvidia? With great prices to performance why hasn't SLI made its way over already?

I would've thought a single card solution should outperform a double card solution of the same price (same price includes price difference in mobo).

Besides, runnig SLI just increases the amount of hardware you'd need to troubleshoot if there is any trouble.

Moimit said:
I have been looking at moving to conroe as it has recently has upstaged the X2's but i really want to get into SLI but nothing on the market currently seems to have support for it, Only Crossfire. I really want to try the E6300 and the Inno3d 7300GT GDDR3 in SLI that seems to be a cheap but effective performance option. Has anyone seen a release dates on Nforce5 or heard of any I975 chipset that will work with Nvidia? With great prices to performance why hasn't SLI made its way over already?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/chipsets/display/20060730231036.html

Why SLI 7300gts? I mean, wouldn't it be better to get one 7600gt or even a 7900gt?

I thought one of the "benefits" of sli is that you can get one good card now, like a 7600gt/7900gt, and then later, when you have some more cash, you can add a second one for even better performance.

Edit: Actually after looking at some benchmarks, the 7300gt is a much better card than I had thought. In sli, it's fast.
http://www.ausfx.com/reviews/NVIDIA/Inno3D7300GT.php

kitty500cat said:
Is it better to go w/a $300 card or put 2 $150 cards in SLI?

IMO, it'd be better to have one card, since not all games can utilize SLI, but there isn't a "right" answer.

The SLI 7300gt's are really fast i can actually buy them at $125 each when the 7600GT costs me about $260 so the cost is about the same. I don't plan on upgrading these for a while and i want it to be Quiet. Some of the other Options i will be choosing are:

Coolermaster R120
3x320g Raid 5
Corsair TwinX800 2g 4-4-4-12
LG H10A DVD-DL
Thermaltake Toughpower 750w

I've also been looking at the Antec P150 or the Antec Solo which look very interesting. Any ideas on what i should change?

Moimit, you may sometime in the future have SLI w/a Conroe. Check out TechSpot's in the spotlight. That would be a cool combo.

The first SLi for Core 2 Duo will be with the same old nforce4 north bridge that has been disliked with a new south bridge. Later this year the new northbridge will be out. I hope it's better.

I couldn't seem to find any information about what is happening with the chipsets. Thank you for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back