Constant Blue Screen Crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marvin

My computer keeps crashing, there is no sound, it went a bit at a time over the past couple of days but the crashes have been happening for a couple of weeks.

Error Codes ....
Error code 1000000a, parameter1 00000000, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 804dbcdf.

Error code 0000009c, parameter1 00000000, parameter2 8054d370, parameter3 c436c000, parameter4 00000136.

Error code 0000009c, parameter1 00000000, parameter2 8054d370, parameter3 8436c000, parameter4 00000136.

Error code 1000000a, parameter1 fc558923, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 804dbce1.

Error code 1000000a, parameter1 04040080, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000001, parameter4 806ee2dc.

Error code 1000000a, parameter1 74883785, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 804dbce3.

Error code 1000000a, parameter1 00000000, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 804dbcdf.

Error code 1000000a, parameter1 74883785, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 804dbce3.

and five mindump files attached ....

Any help would be appreciated .....

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    78.4 KB · Views: 6
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

All your minidumps crash at ntoskrnl.exe. This is the windows bootup kernel file. They all have a bugcheck of 0A.

However, I see from your list of stop codes in your post, that you have received the 9C stop code.

This is always caused by some kind of hardware failure.

0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

You will need to diagnose which hardware is causing your problem.

Start by going HERE and following the instructions.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Well I know my CPU is running at around 100C and goes up to 135C at times and it's only supposed to have a max of 70C. As far as I know I'm not overclocking .... going to try and make sense of all that info .... Thank You I'll get back to you.

If those temperatures you have given are accurate, then overheating is probably the cause.

However, in order to try and sort the overheating problem out, it requires the opening of the case and removing the heatsink etc.

Since you have already said you`re not really comfortable inside a computer, it`s probably better left to someone who is.

Regards Howard :)

Well, I know where the heatsink is .... I really don't fancy trying to get to it so I'll take your advice and leave it to an expert ....

Meanwhile the memtest ran without any failures through 3 cycles.

Do you know how to plug-in a table fan? :)
Take the side of the case off and direct a table fan on it, this will keep it cool enough to see if your BSODs stop or are at least reduced.

Cheers.

If the temps really are that high, it might be better not to try and run the computer at all, untill it`s been looked at.

Regards Howard :)

kirock said:
Do you know how to plug-in a table fan? :)
Take the side of the case off and direct a table fan on it, this will keep it cool enough to see if your BSODs stop or are at least reduced.

Cheers.
First catch a fan ....

I've been running a motherboard monitor programme, for reasons so far unknown the fan takes it into its head to slow down dramatically from 3600rpm to 2400 rpm, the temperature climbs from 100C to 135C in a few minutes .... result BSOD! Additional cooling might stop that .... but it's been a long time since anyone went near there perhaps it needs a damn good clean out of dust , dead creepy crawlies, fag ends, coffee spills and old sarnies ....

It's buried behind all the power cables and connectors, can't get at it from the other side of the box.

Other possible reasons, new equipment added (250Gb HDD moved internal from off USB, Canon USB scanner, Logitech USB keyboard and optical mouse), though they'd run happily for a few weeks before anything started going wrong

/me rips expensive tower fan apart .... :)

Wow that's insanely hot, this must be a Pentium bc if it was an Athlon she'd be gone. Even at 2400 RPM it shouldn't rise that much. You definately have a HSF/CPU interface problem. Thermal pad has probably dried right up. You need to have that removed and put some nice thermal paste on it. Artic silver is the best. Like you say a good cleaning will help alot too. But like Howard says, prob best not to run it at all until you at least give her a good blasting out with some compressed air.

In my sig is a link to BSOD truoble-shooting guide and I've not added it yet but another excellent post by DonNagual is in the same forum (Windows OS) at the top as a sticky.

Cheers.

Took computer apart and got to the fan on the CPU, dusted/cleaned it off as best I could (no compressed air canisters at ye olde local shoppee) checked the PSU and found it only put out 325W but my configuration needed 385+30% .... so removed the new 250Gb HDD and put it back on external USB with seperate power supply, disconnected USB scanner as I don't use it much.

Not sure what the RAM chips are ..... there are two long very thin black rectangular devices (about 6" by 1" by wafer thin) plugged into things that look like yellow zips, they're side by side .... are those the RAM chips? Not totally sure. (there's a spare slot .... I think I know what that means ....)

Going to recheck CPU temperature and power usage .... and see if this thing can stay up and running for a while. I've got close to tossing it out the window today :)

Famous last words .... 15 seconds later super CRASH! ..... ah well so much for all that work :(

well you know you have a temp issue for sure and apparently a PSU issue. So that's 2 of the 3 most common hardware faults that cause bsods. The 3rd and probably the most common is RAM. Let's hope you don't a problem there too.
There is no sense running memory tests like memtest and memtest86 until you address the first two issues.

In my sig the BSOD link is another link to PSU specs. Look for a PSU with lots of amps on the 12V rail. Good brans are Antec, Thermaltake.

Cheers.

So now the choices are these :-

1) Take computer to repair shop and get problems fixed (rough quote from PC World £150 (£70 labour + parts + VAT) with no guarantees that all the problems can be fixed especiallly if the mobo is broken or damaged in some way.

2) Wait until July / August for my son to fix problems or replace my computer with his much better spec computer for £200.

3) Buy a new computer. Price? Anything from £700 (decent spec) to £2,300 (pretty pretty Apple .....)

DO NOT SHOP A THE EVIL PC WORLD! Really do not buy anything from those con-men. It's all a scam mate. Every piece of kit in there is either inferior, overpriced, or both.
If you want a fair price and you don't want some scumbag to tell you that he had to reinstall your Operating System, but it's alright now find someone local and private. I've known them to take four weeks to replace a case fan and to charge £80 for it.
If you're from Yorkshire you should try asking at www.lightcomputers.com anywhere else in the UK try CCL. They may not do repairs themselves, but they'll know who does.

Lekki_Sheep said:
DO NOT SHOP A THE EVIL PC WORLD!
But they have a lovely new bigger brighter better store at J9 M6 Wednesbury .... :)

I had a recom. for a repair shop in Sutton, I might give them a try .... as for hardware I usually shop online when I know what I'm doing (very rare!)

Marvin,

Lekki just gave you some very good advice. The big pretty stores are usually a rip off that's how they have such nice stores. It would be really easy work for a local PC tech guy.

1) You need the HSF removed/cleaned and new thermal paste applied. Amount of time for me to do it. 1/2 hour tops. Cost of paste..$2.00 (if that).
2) Replace PSU. Remove old PSU and install new PSU. Time for me to do it. 15-20 minutes, tops. Cost of PSU...$30-40US. You bring it to the shop with you.

It's too bad you don't know a mate who know's a mate....who fixes PCs. :)
Cheers.

Hey if you live near here I could be more specific. Being thoroughly sick of my job for reasons I won't go into as I'd hate to bore you, I'm looking for a new one in the same line of business. And my line of business is, you guessed it.

Also, I know this should probably be in another thread, but I just noticed another word meaning buccaneer has been blocked for some reason. Example ******. Anyone able to tell me the reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back