Constant data corruption

Tedster

I have an older motherboard in which I added a SSD as a readyboost drive for windows 10. I get constant notices from windows that the data is corrupted and needs to be fixed in which case I will need to reboot and it takes forever to fix the drive and continue on. Lately, I just put the computer to sleep rather than reboot because it's so annoying. I am about to delete it as a readyboost drive and just use it for a regular drive. suggestions? My mother board will not allow me to use it as a primary drive

screenshot has computer info

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-12-17 10.50.06.png
    Screenshot 2017-12-17 10.50.06.png
    74.7 KB · Views: 0
A link---

https://www.howtogeek.com/123780/htg-explains-is-readyboost-worth-using/

screenshot_10.jpg

SSD...data is corrupted

I would approach this as an impending failure of the SSD - first I would backup my data - then I would replace the data cable and confirm that the power connection is good - then I would download and run whatever the manufacturer has by way of testing utility.

Once that is all done then I have a good idea if the SSD is failing. If it is not, then RAM or PSU or voltage control on the motherboard may be the issue. Memtest86 could be run on continuous loop to check RAM overnight (6 or more full runs).

I was getting hard drive corruption on my machine a couple of years ago and it turned out to be the memory. What was strange was I had 4 sticks of 2 GB Kingston hyperX memory and It tested bad with memtest 86 but each stick checked good. After trying combinations I found I could run 3 sticks with no errors. Ended buying 2 - 4GB certified for my computer from Crucial.

Hmmm. the drive is fairly new and not really critical. I use it as a readyboost drive. It seems that windows keeps timing out the drive for non activity and then the data gets corrupted.

Timing out an SSD?? Why would Windows need or want to time it out? I'm uncertain about this - does anyone know? If there is no (or only minimal) reason, maybe this should be set to 'never time out'.

SSD...data is corrupted

I would approach this as an impending failure of the SSD - first I would backup my data - then I would replace the data cable and confirm that the power connection is good - then I would download and run whatever the manufacturer has by way of testing utility.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2645433/windows-constantly-corrupted-ssd.html
Someone else mention that very samething whenever my old hard drives did that and eventually became unbootable.
Either its time to rma through warranty or buy a new hdd altogether.

Back