Context Menu on right click is invisible until it's hovered over

Status
Not open for further replies.

king21092

Hello TechSpot! It's been a while since I've been on here. On with the subject.

Well the title says it all but I will explain a little more in detail. First off, this has happened about 5 different times and the only way that has fixed it in the past is restarting, logging off doesn't work. When I right-click "anything!" the context menu is supposed to come up and be visible, however when this problem occurs the menu is invisible. It eventually shows up after I hover my mouse over each option. Please note that this happens on every menu. On the file, edit for an application, or just on any right-click that has a context menu.

On the images below are images of my desktop.. Yes the background is black, for you all that are wondering why there is no color in the images.

I'll post more as I think of it... I'm not in the best state of mind (tired) to be typing this, so please ask if you don't understand something and I'll explain it to the best of my ability.

EDIT: I have also been having problems with my desktop background disappearing, leaving the background black. Since it happens on a regular basis, I've decided to keep my desktop black. I am using Dual Monitors and using NVIDIA Desktop Manager for my Dual Monitors and desktop backgrounds.

Attachments

• contextmenu.JPG
    contextmenu.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 11
  • contextmenu2.JPG
    contextmenu2.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 8
I'm 100% sure I'm clean. I do scans regularly and keep everything up to date. MBAM + Mcafee full suite + Uniblue registry booster + Regrun + Registry mechanic... I'm clean and have always been... I'm 9^2474184 % sure its some sort of glitch, I'm just unsure of how to get rid of it or how to fix it.

I request you to reinstall the display drivers and set the screen resolutions high....and select default windows display seetings rather than changing new theams for ur desktop......

As ur using two monitors then u have to install the dual distributor or splitter so that u can see them clearly...

Saleem Pasha..

1. only way that has fixed it in the past is restarting, logging off doesn't work.

2. I have also been having problems with my desktop background disappearing, leaving the background black.

3. Uniblue registry booster + Regrun + Registry mechanic...

#1: suggest a possible memory problem. Restarting frees up memory that might not have been available.

#2: indicates possible problem with graphics card and also malware.

#3: way overkill in Registry cleaning. <most of us don't recommend any Registry cleaners. You have three> they are competing for what each thinks should be changed or removed.

From PCMechanic review of Registry Booster:
People need to realize that ANY program that affects the Windows registry has the possibility of messing something up. That is why it is SO important to back up your registry before running any scanning software, whether it be Registry Booster or something else.

From CNET on RegRun- a security suite
The bad: Poorly written help files; QuickStart Guide doesn't include instructions for many utilities; Standard Edition disables many useful utilities as reminders to upgrade to the Gold Edition.

From PC Tools on Registry Mechanic
will scan your entire registry for any invalid entries and provides a list of the registry errors found, you can then choose to selectively clean each item or automatically repair them all.]
This is an advanced registry cleaner for Windows that can clean and repair problems with your registry.

Review from CNET on Registry Mechanic:
Offers free download but you have to buy it to fix anything anyway.

NONE of these Registry Cleaners are rated in the top 6: http://www.registryrepairreports.com/

From lockerknome: Reviewing Registry cleaners in general
1. It's been my experience that most automatic registry cleaners will hose your system eventually. Even the old Microsoft RegClean 4.1 can do this.
2. The registry is very, very finicky and just one bad/missing entry can leave the whole thing unusable.
From softwaretipsandtricks: Registry cleaners in general
1. don't be fooled by reg cleaners most of them are nothing but trouble if you don't know what you
2. Many of them can really screw up Windows. Not worth the risk.
3. The bottom line: Unless you already understand how to manage Windows start-up executable, take a pass on this for now.

I guess you have an idea where I'm going with this- it's a suggestion that is entirely up to you whether to follow or not:
1. Using msconfig, uncheck all three of the Registry cleaners.
2. If there are any Services associated with them, using Start> Run> services.msc , disable the startup type of the Service and Stop the Service.
3. Reboot the computer> ignore and close the nag message that comes up and close after checking 'don't show this message again.' STAY in Selective Startup.

With the Registry cleaners taken off of startup and the Services disabled: do a System Restore back to date before the current problem began. IF this resolved the current problem and you insist on using a Registry cleaner, add ONE of them back to startup and change Service back to Manual.

You might end up having to restore back to date before each of the Registry cleaners was installed.

#3: way overkill in Registry cleaning. <most of us don't recommend any Registry cleaners. You have three> they are competing for what each thinks should be changed or removed.

I'm not bragging, but my computer has handled everything I've ever thrown at it. I do have them all, yes, but they DO NOT run at the same time. Regrun is always on, the other registry "fixers" I leave off, and only use them manually every once in a while.

Yes, it's overkill, but better safe then sorry.
Also, I would like to add that MBAM, McAfee full suite, and RegRun will run simultaneously. I've yet to have a single problem with any of them. (MBAM and RegRun block McAfee updates, but once it's set to the safelists, then not a problem.)

#1: It does wipe the memory, yes, but I honestly can't see how that little bit would make a "visual" glitch.

#2: I'm almost positive that I'm free of malware, if you want I can post MBAM logs and any other logs needed. As far as video, that could be the issue, as I have had minor problems when I first got the card, but nothing that drivers and some spanking couldn't fix.

I would like to mention that I can live with it if I must, but if there is a fix without having to do any major changing than I'm willing to try.

I spent a great deal of time getting information that I hoped might help.

There is nothing more frustrating that when someone comes here for help, but says everything is fine!

Sometimes we have to work by the process of eliminating. SO when I suggest the possibility of too many Registry cleaners running and you reply with:
I'm not bragging, but my computer has handled everything I've ever thrown at it.

you don't seem willing to explore possibilities. Perhaps someone else will have the magic cure for the broken Context menu.

Maybe- just maybe something you "threw" at your computer was a Registry entry that was needed for the Context menu to work correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back