Cooling vests see hot demand as global temperatures rise

midian182

Staff member
In brief: The world is getting hotter, and that's a problem for everyone. In the US, heatwaves are proving lethal for millions of workers who perform their duties outside or in hot indoor areas, but some respite is being found in a technology that has been around for a long time: cooling vests.

According to data from the European Union's climate observatory, July was the hottest month ever recorded on Earth. There were abnormally high temperatures recorded on both land and sea, resulting in unbearable heat across much of the world.

Wired writes that hundreds of workers have died from environmental heat exposure in the US over the past decade. With temperatures continuing to rise, the danger is higher than ever. But cooling vests are helping mitigate some of the worst effects.

Many of these vests work in a simple but effective way: stuff them with packs of water ice straight from the freezer. These are flat and flexible to help with movement and bulkiness. They melt over the course of a day, keeping wearers cool for many hours.

Some vests forgo water in favor of phase change materials (PCMs), which transition from solid or semisolid to liquid as they absorb heat. These can have a higher melting point so they last longer. We've also seen vests with built-in water pumps; some are made from highly breathable fabric; and there are those that come with embedded fans.

In 2020, Sony released the Reon Pocket, which is essentially a wearable air conditioner. It can be used as a handheld to soothe your brow, though it's primarily designed to be placed just below a user's neck in a pocket knit inside special polyester fabric undershirts.

The most expensive cooling vests can cost almost $400, though some companies are providing them to their employees as part of the job.

Demand for cooling garments has skyrocketed recently as a result of the heatwaves; many manufacturers say they have orders fully booked out for months. Everyone from military personnel to factory staff, schoolyard supervisors, roofers, and fast-food workers are wearing them. Interestingly, even those locations where they would normally not be popular, such as Scandinavia, are seeing an increase in sales as residents used to the cold try to adapt to the heatwaves.

The vests aren't a miracle solution for everyone. It's been noted that their effectiveness can vary, and continuing to wear the same cooling packs after their contents have melted and become warm can make things worse. There have also been complaints from vegetable pickers about vests with built-in fans sucking vegetation against their clothes and being cumbersome.

With air conditioning units worsening the environmental crisis, it's predicted that solutions like cooling vests will become more commonplace in the future as temperatures keep on soaring.

Permalink to story.

Not a single word about reducing exposure only some cheap vest to chill the slaves.
Soon your local pizza delivery guy:
iu

Might be a good way to keep cool while digging ditches outside in the summer. I would have liked one back in 1970 when it was just as hot/cool but people were more fit.
Thats a big rub isnt it? today we get heat warnings because "its high 90s with high humidity so it feels like 110".

We had that 20 years ago, and we didnt have heat warnings. Of course, people were not the size of baby elephants back then, so we could deal with a little heat.

Pro tip: dont carry 200 lbs of extra insulation in hot climates. Problem solved.

Houstonian here. It's unfortunately true.
Nope:

The Texas governor signed a bill that will rescind existing mandatory rest and water breaks for construction workers starting in September.

Austin and Dallas were the only municipalities where city ordinances requiring water breaks existed in the first place, so it did not even apply to all of Texas.

Nothing was made illegal except the government requirement of a business to implement a water break. Businesses can still do so if they wish in those two cities, just like the rest of the state has always done.

Nope:

The Texas governor signed a bill that will rescind existing mandatory rest and water breaks for construction workers starting in September.

Austin and Dallas were the only municipalities where city ordinances requiring water breaks existed in the first place, so it did not even apply to all of Texas.

Nothing was made illegal except the government requirement of a business to implement a water break. Businesses can still do so if they wish in those two cities, just like the rest of the state has always done.
Your thinly veiled insult of my intelligence is noted. Regardless of your opinion, I will continue to think the very worst of Gov. Abbott.

I second this. And if you do move here, don't vote how you did in the blue state you left.

Just let Austin City decide for the whole State - they are pretty educated there and and have good diversity :) - can't all be Ex New Yorkers anymore

Your State and the SW will go blue over time - just the way it is - Critical Colour replacement ( Red to Blue )

USA has a weird system - Rural areas/ Minor States may lose in The House - but make up in the Senate as Senators populations vary dramatically

This is all from a Kiwi - who only looks in passing a USA politics - just headlines etc
Ask yourself how is the republic party going after the educated,the young, and non-fundamentalist women vote

I could be wrong - except for young white racists - I think young people are now more immune to conspiracy theories etc - as they see endless BS on their feeds - so they have better BS radars
Kind of like home schooled kids vs those brought up in public schools who learn to the give and take in words - what is joke , what is an attack
I worked on a high country farm in remote area when 18 - said a comment to a home schooled child of the farmer - he took my friendly windup as an attack - so afterwards - I tempered my comments to be straight and easy to understand - my son as an only child had to learn kids could be vicious going to school :)

I second this. And if you do move here, don't vote how you did in the blue state you left.

I moved here to Arkansas from Pa for business reasons and, I assure you, we will vote as we damn well please. And we all do. Many move to the south for the climate, but they DO NOT change how they look at things. Do you think the fact that the once die hard red states, Arizona, Texas and Georgia are all turning blue, and are the top states northerners move to is a coincidence?

I think young people are now more immune to conspiracy theories etc - as they see endless BS on their feeds - so they have better BS radars

Sorry brother, but no. The deep south is riddled, many say dependent, on conspiracy theories. It's how they get through voting consistently against their own interests.

Last edited:
I moved here to Arkansas from Pa for business reasons and, I assure you, we will vote as we damn well please. And we all do. Many move to the south for the climate, but they DO NOT change how they look at things. Do you think the fact that the once die hard red states, Arizona, Texas and Georgia are all turning blue, and are the top states northerners move to is a coincidence?

Sorry brother, but no. The deep south is riddled, many say dependent, on conspiracy theories. It's how they get through voting consistently against their own interests.
didn't ask, don't care. you'll regret it later.

didn't ask, don't care. you'll regret it later.
Come on man. CONservatives have been telling us that for almost a century. We didn't regret it then, we don't now, and we sure as hell won't down the road.
Like most of the right in the 60s, most of today's left are the torch-bearers for Democracy.
Today's right is a sad example of America.

Last edited:
I don't think much of him either, but facts are important. I fail to see where how pointing out that you are wrong, and stating facts, act as an insult, however veiled.
Yea I read your statement too and I was wondering where you insulted them as well. You literally didn't mention said person at all lol. Also it's pretty sad that someone who lives in Texas doesn't know what's going on in Texas because you're right, they are wrong. A quick google search will show that aspect of the bill isn't being enforced on a state level.
If a company is dumb enough to tell you you're not allowed a water break after 4 hours on the job site...what are they gonna do if you disobey? Fire you? So? If someone were to tell me I couldn't have a water break in the heat after 4 hours I'd dare someone like that to challenge me. Immediately after hearing such words I'd be in the quitting mindset anyway so go ahead, fire me. I'll steal the water on the way out the door for all I care.

Right in the first paragraph:
"eliminate local rules mandating water breaks for construction workers."

That is a very, very long way from passing a law that forbids water breaks.
If I may, why do you think it was important to vacate a law that was nothing but good for everyone? From what I have read, a huge majority didn't even know that law existed.
So how small a "man" does the Governor have to be to decide it needed to be removed?

If I may, why do you think it was important to vacate a law that was nothing but good for everyone? From what I have read, a huge majority didn't even know that law existed.
So how small a "man" does the Governor have to be to decide it needed to be removed?
I never stated it was good or bad, only that the original post and the agreement with that post missed the mark by twisting the facts into something it was not.

Back