Copying XP from HDD to HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

vassil3427

Hello,
Tomorrow is my birthday and I'm getting a Special Edition Western Digital 100GB 7200rpm w/8mb cache(yes I know what I'm getting for my birthday cause i had to order it online cause my parents dont know a thing about computers) Right now I have a Maxtor 40GB 7200rpm HDD, my question is, I want to copy everything off my old drive to the new one, will it affect my Windows XP Home Edition Activation at all?, because I really dont want to have to reactivate it

P.S. i was going to use Western Digital's HDD copy tools
and my HDD is formatted in NTFS

And the reason I want to copy all the folders to the new HDD instead of using it as a slave is because, a good friend of mine called me and told me her HDD quit. She needs one soon and cheap, so i offered her mine for $55, she wants it.....:grinthumb

Getting a program such as PowerQuest Drive Image will help you make a quick and easy backup of your hard drive. If I'm not mistaken you copy it onto a DOS boot disk and can run it if you boot from the floppy. You might also want to get PowerQuest Partition Magic, to partition your new drive before or after the backup. It's always a good idea to have your OS on one partition/drive and have your data, games, and other things on a main, bigger partition. If your primary (OS) partition fails, you won't lose any of your vital data, you'll only have to format and reinstall.
I'm pretty confident that Windows XP won't complain about reactivating it. Once it's activated, it's done, it'll only complain if you reinstall. Which you shouldn't have to do. But if you did, you'd probably have to give M$ a call and get a new product key, since XP is very picky about piracy, and will require you to get a new one even if you have a new video card :(

Good plan :grinthumb How much was the WD drive? Did you get it before they cut the warranties?

Well Vehementi,
According to WD's web site the new policy doesnt go into effect until October 1st, but even then, the Special Edition Hard Drives will continue to have a 3 year warranty, its the regular drives that are reduced to a 1 year warranty, and I paid $129.00 for it(but add 11.95 for 2nd day Air shipping) from www.newegg.com :grinthumb

Thanks for the help!:D

[size=1]*SNGX1275 fixed the link[/size]

Vehementi - no links from the link which you supplied work. We all could do with a free but reliable drive imager - who knows of one ?

The highly-reputable Acronis TrueImage used to have a 'free for personal use' one but I don't know if they still do...personally I use a fully paid-for Acronis. It did not cost very much, and I think it should be pointed out strongly that when you do need it, it is worth a mountain of gold !

Hang on, Vassil !!!! Surely not 100Gb for $129 ?? Is that a mistype for 1000Gb ?? If so, you might have to be careful, as your current drive 40Gb is probably IDE and your new one is probably SATA. In which case, there is a good chance of trouble. First your PC may not support SATA, and may not support 1000Gb if it supports Sata. Your Windows OS may need a driver for SATA drives, and simply cloning the current OS will not work. In a situation like you may have, only a Windows re-install is guaranteed to work, although a repair installation might, I dont really know.

You are cheating your friend at $55. A new one with a five year warranty if only $42.
You cheated yourself for such a small drive at an outrageous price. You should be able to get a 250 GB for $80 or a 500 GB for $109.
Acronis is very good for the price... which can be as low as $9.00.
Microsoft has all sorts of built-in protections to prevent piracy. You MUST activate to have a decently performing machine, but that is no big issue. Microsoft will detect that the computer hardware is the same but the drive has changed. You will be able to activate online or by telephone.
There is no reason not to activate, and plenty of reasons to do so.

Hang on, Vassil !!!! Surely not 100Gb for $129 ?? Is that a mistype for 1000Gb ??
Wow that's the cheapest I've ever heard for THE YEAR 2002 when this thread started !!

Please create a new thread

To stop these comments:
Vehementi - no links from the link which you supplied work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back