Core i7-9700K leak shows it hitting 5.5GHz on all eight cores using water cooling

midian182

Staff member
Highly anticipated: While most people are waiting impatiently for the arrival of Intel’s 9th generation Coffee Lake-S Refresh processors—rumored to launch in October—some users have already got their hands on engineering samples and are showing what the chips are capable of.

Back in July, we saw Core i9-9900K benchmarks that put the CPU ahead of the Ryzen 7 2700X and i7-8700K. Now, an i7-9700K purportedly overclocked to a massive 5.5GHz across all eight of its cores has been spotted.

The i7-9700K is said to feature 8 cores and 8 threads—hyperthreading will be an exclusive feature for the top-end Core i9 series. Built on the 14nm++ process, it has a clock speed of 3.6GHz and can boost to 4.6GHz on all cores, or 4.9GHz using a single core. It also boasts 12MB of L3 cache and a TDP of 95W.

Chinese-language site ZOL has posted screenshots of the chip being used. It shows the i7-9700K running on an ASRock Z370 Professional Gaming mobo with 16GB of G.Skill DDR4-2133 RAM.

Another image shows the CPU’s Cinebench R15 benchmarks. The i7-9700K has been overclocked to 5.5537GHz across all eight cores, and that’s apparently using water cooling rather than liquid nitrogen. It attained a single-core score of 250 and a multi-core result of 1,827, though the overclock had the voltage set at 1.536V, which is high.

The scores put it above the Core i7-8700K (stock), which managed 193 and 1408. It’s also slightly better the Ryzen 2700X—AMD’s chip attained scores of 250 and 1827, though that was also at stock speeds.

As with all leaks of this kind, it’s best taken with a pinch of salt, particularly as the date in the BIOS image is months out from the one in the Windows taskbar. Expect to discover the 9000-series' exact performance capabilities when the chips are released in a few weeks' time.

Permalink to story.

I predicted 5.5 when they announced these chips. Maybe not on all of them, but if top 20% hits 5.5. This is the one to get (no HT). I guess the solder is helping.

@2.1Ghz RAM clock, what happens if you use 3Ghz+ will the CPU clock speeds tank that much? Is the performance drop of the RAM clocks noticeable in real world scenario? (last I've heard RAM speeds dont matter unless Ryzen)

I wonder if anyone else notices that the gpu tested in the screenshots is an i7-9700k and NOT an i9-9700k as the article reads.

Unless there is some naming issue that I am missing, someone should correct this.

I wonder if anyone else notices that the gpu tested in the screenshots is an i7-9700k and NOT an i9-9700k as the article reads.

Unless there is some naming issue that I am missing, someone should correct this.

you should read the article a little slower next time and it's CPU not GPU... The article references the i9-9900k but is not about it, it's about the i7-9700

I’d take 5.5 ghz with no hyperthreading over 4.2 ghz with hyper threading every single day of the week. Which is a 2700X and basically what this will be up against. Of course I don’t think most users will get 5.5 but over 5.0 would still be fantastic news.

I'm more curious about the 9900k. If it can hit 5ghz relatively easily with traditional consumer AIO/Air coolers with temperatures not going through the roof, then I'll be impress.

The 2700X scores in the text aren't correct? They are identical to the ones quoted for the 9700k.

Generally it gets about 180 single core and 1800 multi core. Overclocking it usually gives a marginal improvement single, maybe 5 percent more ~1900 on multi core.

Realistically this 9700k has such high voltage there and no doubt great cooling most people won't achieve these overclocks. Maybe take off at least 10 percent from those scores for day to day usage.

Even assuming this, 9700k looks like it should be a step up from 8700k and therefore likely faster in most applications than the 2700x.

Last edited:
Back