Corsair's Obsidian 900D can house everything but the kitchen sink

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Since its unveiling at Computex 2009, the Obsidian Series 800D has served as the mac daddy of Corsair's enthusiast chassis. After focusing on delivering more affordable variants over the last two and a half years, the company is prepared to trump its venerable flagship with a new offering: the Obsidian 900D.

Designed for system builders who want a spacious premium enclosure and don't mind paying for it, the "super tower" Obsidian 900D offers room for up to 10 expansion cards, nine storage drives (or up to 15 drives in total with extra cages that are sold separately), four 5.25-inch devices and two power supplies.

The 900D's product page is currently scarce on details and pictures, but it seems like two three-bay drive cages can be mounted directly below the 5.25-inch bays, while another trio of three-bay storage cages can be installed in the bottom chamber, though doing so might prevent the use of a second PSU.

The enclosure supports motherboard form factors including ATX, E-ATX, XL-ATX and HP-ATX, while it can accommodate up to two 480mm radiators and two 240mm radiators as well as 15 fans. The 900D's stock cooling configuration includes four fans: three 120mm units up front and one 140mm unit in back.

corsair obsidian

Three of the case's drive bays are hot-swappable, while other features include the obvious: fan filters, tool-less assembly, a CPU heatsink cutout as well as ample holes for wire routing. Reports from CES say that the case measures 25.8 x 27.3 x 9.9 inches and will cost about $349 when it ships early this year.

Permalink to story.

If you prefer the FT02 then the 900D isn't designed for you. Given the choice I would take the 900D any day, it is an amazing looking computer case.

Depending on the price and how the full review goes I'm considering it for my next full build. Gonna need plenty of space for triple or quad whatevers-are-around-at-that-time.

Imagine how much that bad boy would weigh fully loaded? 15 drives, two PSU's, a bunch of expansion cards and a mongo cooler for the CPU - or even liquid cooling? You'd need a forklift in your house to move it around. ;)

Imagine how much that bad boy would weigh fully loaded? 15 drives, two PSU's, a bunch of expansion cards and a mongo cooler for the CPU - or even liquid cooling? You'd need a forklift in your house to move it around. ;)

My tj07 weighs around 40lbs fully loaded, so I know this thing is going to be pretty heavy.

I thought you needed the kitchen sink for the water cooling system.. Is there an add on cab for that...?:confused:

Talking of the TJ07, this chassis looks like lovechild of the Silverstone and a Little Devil V8
"Love child, never meant to be. Love child, born in poverty".

Oh gee thanx! That'll be stuck in my head for a bit....

BTW, there's a tj11 too. It looks like two of these cases mated, and their love child is fighting a weight problem. In another 25 or 30 years, we'll be calling it "Chaz"

Oookay. Looks like a killer case for those who want the space. I'd rather go with the smaller and cheaper. I've still not decided between the Carbide 200R and 300R.

Now, that is a real tower case. :)

if it comes with a built-in seat, then... never mind :)

I have this tt v9 blacx case and it's already huge for my taste and is infantile compared to this obsidian case.

My next project: I'm planning to put the freezer unit (refrigeration compressor and condensing units) from my refrigerator into this case for my cooling system :D

That is one pretty spectacular case, but I'm still going for the Cooler Master Cosmos II still :p

Very tempting though, 2 Quad Radiators would be awesome!

With all those fans, if I stick some wings on it, will I be able to fly it to work?
I think I want one. It's a nice, roomy case and isn't exactly ugly.

Maybe try just sticking with a chiller unit, a freezer one will put out more condensation than you could possibly believe. the condensation volumes rise exponentially as the delta k rises so you'd have to be pretty ballsy running a freezer unit in a primary pc.
My next project: I'm planning to put the freezer unit (refrigeration compressor and condensing units) from my refrigerator into this case for my cooling system :D

Maybe try just sticking with a chiller unit, a freezer one will put out more condensation than you could possibly believe. the condensation volumes rise exponentially as the delta k rises so you'd have to be pretty ballsy running a freezer unit in a primary pc.
It's their money, let them find out the hard way. lol
If they actually want to mod a rig like that, it would be very tempting to keep quiet. I would enjoy sitting back, watching, and waiting for condensation to start dripping form the CPU to GPU. Each and every drop at someone else's expense would be very entertaining.

You wouldn't likely fit either in the Corsair chassis in any event. In addition to the compressor unit/chiller, guest would still need to have enough space to fit a back side (motherboard) heat unit to dispel the condensation and icing around the socket as you've already alluded to. If Guest was actually in any way serious, s/he would know that already. For chiller/sub-zero you're basically looking as at either a) open bench, b) CaseLabs, c) Little Devil or possibly d) a MM Extended Ascension depending on DIY prowess. The Corsair looks like a standard jack-of-all-trades full tower whose list of features rapidly diminishes as you remove components to fit more esoteric cooling.
Provision for through-and-through airflow in the bottom compartment would have been a nice option to have, as would having the option to mount one of the HDD caddies instead of the 5.25" bays (of which four seems overkill in any case) so you could either fit radiators both sides of the lower compartment, or locate pumps and reservoir ahead of the radiator to enhance airflow and not lose HDD capacity in the process.
Looks like a nice chassis- but for a premium price (~$349) you'd not want to spend too much to mod it when there are modular chassis already available. Looks ideally suited for a workstation/home server/standard watercooling setup.

On a related note, the vid on the Corsair site doesn't show the fitting tolerances in a great light. The gaps between front 5.25" bay covers leave something to be desired.

On a related note, the vid on the Corsair site doesn't show the fitting tolerances in a great light. The gaps between front 5.25" bay covers leave something to be desired.

Keep in mind that it is meant to be a prototype unit.

I wonder if I could park my car in it as well... If I bought one of these I wouldn't bother paying my mortgage because if I ever got evicted I would have somewhere to stay :D

Back