White House seeks to cryptographically verify Biden videos to mitigate deepfake risks

Bubbajim

Staff
In context: With deepfake and generative AI scams on the rise, the White House says that ways to cryptographically verify their official releases are "in the works." No details have been shared yet of what this process would ultimately look like, but it seems probable that it would be a form of 'signing' official releases in a manner that proves that the White House was the true source.

The White House has confirmed that it is currently exploring ways to cryptographically verify the statements and videos that it puts out, in an effort to combat the rise of politically motivated deepfakes.

In January, we reported on an AI-generated robocall that faked President Biden's voice and told New Hampshire residents not to vote in the upcoming primary election. This was followed by the news this week that FCC Chairwoman, Jessica Rosenworcel, has put forth a proposal to ban AI-generated voices from robocalls.

But banning such techniques is unlikely to be enough to stop people using them, so in an attempt to reassure the public of the authenticity of their releases, the White House is reportedly turning to cryptographic techniques, allowing people to verify what's real and what's not.

One common method for doing this is a private and public key pairing. The source for a piece of information generates a hash value for any given video or document and encrypts it using their private key. This hash can only be decrypted by the public key, which is available to all and attributed to the original author. Thus, successful decryption using the public key confirms the owner of the private key – verifying the source.

Any third-party attempts to alter the file would not contain the original hash value, and so would not be able to verify themselves as authentic.

While these efforts would certainly bring some benefits, there are some potential risks that need to be considered. Proper usage would undoubtedly help people verify real communications, but these powers would give the President and their staff a way of staking a claim on what is "the truth."

If the President made a mistake or gaffe during a White House video, they could simply not cryptographically sign the content and disavow it as fake. And it seems likely given the divisive state of the political landscape that such powers could and would be weaponized.

For now though, we do not have a timeline for this development. Speaking to Business Insider, Ben Buchanan, Biden's Special Advisor for Artificial Intelligence, simply confirmed that it's "in the works."

Permalink to story.

All those videos of Biden mumbling nonsense were FAKE AI GENERATED!!!!!!!!!11
Blame it on the ai scapegoat continues.

Hey imagine having a conversation with his supporters saying if you get a robocall from him saying "don't vote for me". You have to install a decryption key to check if it's real or not. That target demographic audience.

Last edited:
I cant wait until someone figures out how to upload data to this crypto system and manages to flag hundreds of unrelated videos as being "100% ministry of truth confirmed Glorious Leader Content". The fallout will be hilarious.
It's the incoming excuse for the man's various blunders.

I think this is a good time to start introducing both new laws and tech that can identify fakes.
Laws wiil deter malicious people, tech will make it much harder to use it for deceiving people.
One problem is that we have a huge number of older videos that were recorded on the rise of cameras development. Faking those is much easier because they are not as clear and high in quality.
A similar concern is for very low quality video calling, the lower quality is, harder it is to tell if it is real or fake.

I think this is a good time to start introducing both new laws and tech that can identify fakes.
Laws wiil deter malicious people, tech will make it much harder to use it for deceiving people.
One problem is that we have a huge number of older videos that were recorded on the rise of cameras development. Faking those is much easier because they are not as clear and high in quality.
A similar concern is for very low quality video calling, the lower quality is, harder it is to tell if it is real or fake.
As long as we don't get state sponsored deep fakes being passed as real and real content that is being flagged as a deep fake.

You really think the two are comparable? I didn't mention Trump at all yet you have to shoehorn him into every unrelated topic.

Maybe you're right and they aren't. There's less of a need to verify if Trump actually said something, because you can assume he's already said anything crazy enough. And if you just wait a day, he'll say the exact opposite too.

Maybe you're right and they aren't. There's less of a need to verify if Trump actually said something, because you can assume he's already said anything crazy enough. And if you just wait a day, he'll say the exact opposite too.
IMO, the real problem is that there are those who hang on everything Trump says like its Manna from Heaven. They could not tell BS from Manna if they tried.

I feel bad for the man but I feel worse for the citizens of this country
Its unfortunate, IMO, that people refuse to see the good Biden has done, and decide, instead, to support someone that acts like the anti-christ. Maybe Trump will invite Putin to take over Alaska next, or perhaps he will give Putin control over the white house IF Trump should be re-elected by the dolts that still support him. And then the dolts who voted for him will wonder "Hey, what happened to our Democracy". My answer will simply be "hey, you voted for someone who has no respect for the constitution and you wonder what happened to Democracy in the US?"

Just curious, do you think the laptop is still fake?

IMO, the real problem is that there are those who hang on everything Trump says like its Manna from Heaven. They could not tell BS from Manna if they tried.

Its unfortunate, IMO, that people refuse to see the good Biden has done, and decide, instead, to support someone that acts like the anti-christ. Maybe Trump will invite Putin to take over Alaska next, or perhaps he will give Putin control over the white house IF Trump should be re-elected by the dolts that still support him. And then the dolts who voted for him will wonder "Hey, what happened to our Democracy". My answer will simply be "hey, you voted for someone who has no respect for the constitution and you wonder what happened to Democracy in the US?"
Wow.

I cant wait until someone figures out how to upload data to this crypto system and manages to flag hundreds of unrelated videos as being "100% ministry of truth confirmed Glorious Leader Content". The fallout will be hilarious.

It's the incoming excuse for the man's various blunders.
If it uses PGP (which is a standardized technology), then it's actually a signature being generated and is a tried and tested technology spanning over the last 30 years. In fact the US tried to ban it early on saying that the encryption could be used in warfare and therefore sharing PGP online was considered illegal munitions export: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy#Criminal_investigation

Dolts?

Article: Neutral, approachable from all sides synopsis of a problem presenting itself to politics needing a solution, solution already in the works.
Comments: Predictable outcome of having instantaneous access to unchecked 24/7 political information, infighting and partial disregard for the matter of the article.

Deepfakes [already used on a small but measurable scale] pose the capability to harden already politically hardened individuals from simple adversity to dangerous animosity, and we've already seen the result of radicalization. If you've wished ill will or physical harm on any [native] political individual, at any point, even for a second, no matter who [journalists included], then you can probably imagine the many thousands of others who have felt the same emotion.
Think, among those, there are countless who are unstable enough to commit to those thoughts. Deepfakes have tricked me [after finding out] at one point, and they have probably tricked you once, too. Scale that to many million people, of all shapes, colors and sizes, and things start getting fishy.

Back