CPU and GPU Availability and Pricing Update: March 2021

The only thing that worries me about the current situation is if my 2080 suddenly dies, whilst still within its RMA 3yr warranty period, I doubt they'd send me a replacement 3xxx equivalent (3060 or 3060Ti??), even if they could and then there is just the pure hassle of having to arrange sending it back..Arggghhh!

Having to live with Intel Integrated graphics for an unknown duration is the stuff of nightmares...I'm really wishing right now that I hadn't sold my old Nvidia 970 :(

Last edited:
The crypto PONZI scheme is ultimately going to make it certain you can’t get the card you want at MSRP.

#1. You’ve got the federal government handing out welfare checks to people give me amount of $1400 which is close enough to the MSRP of an RTX 3090 in order to ensure that people who have one who really don’t need it will be able to leverage it against Microcenter or Amazon.

#2. You already had scalpers scalping these graphic cards prior to the bitcoin craze of 2020. Prices were already high simply because scalpers knew that they could get these outrageous fees since more and more people were building computers due to the quarantine.

#3. Now you have Linus telling people that they can use their computers to make small profits mining coins that are profitable such as a cerium which can probably be mind for about two years – which means that the price of Ethereum is going to be driven upwards.

The only solution is for the video card manufacturers to ship the cards directly to the consumer in order to completely cut out the scalper.

The over arching solution is for Congress to make crypto mining illegal. I don’t care how they do it. Bacon site environmental impact since the wasted energy produces more greenhouse gas. They just need to do it and they need to do it now.

The only thing that worries me about the current situation is if my 2080 suddenly dies, whilst still within its RMA 3yr warranty period, I doubt they'd send me a replacement 3xxx equivalent (3060 or 3060Ti??), even if they could and then there is just the pure hassle of having to arrange sending it back..Arggghhh!

Having to live with Intel Integrated graphics for an unknown duration is the stuff of nightmares...I'm really wishing right now that I hadn't sold my old Nvidia 970 :(

Your 2080 is better than the 970 in every single way and it has RTX graphics.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the card crashing but rest a sure that if it does you’ll be forced online hoping to get a 3000 series card because you’re gonna have a very difficult time finding another 2080.

It wouldn’t be such a bad thing if the crypto minors were buying 2000 series cards and leaving the 3000 series loan but in order to make that happen I need the card manufacturers to absolutely cripple gaming cards to make it so that the script a Ponzi scheme nonsense can’t ever be used again on cards that are specifically created for that crowd.

I need them to embed hardware that detects Crypto mining and automatically disables the card. Apple is a company that I could trust to do something like that but I need Nvidia an AMD to respond in kind.

You wrote in the OP that the 3060TI sells for the equivalent of $600.

This is not just wrong, it is so grossly and ridiculously wrong that I hereby offer to buy any and all 3060TIs you find me for $600.

So let me write here the truth:

3060TI's sell in Greece, an EU member state, for between 1099 Euros and 1499 Euros. That's so much above what you wrote in the OP, in fact I think it's triple what you mentioned in the OP, that I honestly don't know what to tell you.

https://www.skroutz.gr/c/55/kartes-...-RTX-3060-Ti.html?from=autocomplete&o=3060+ti

You might want to check your sources better next time.

Your 2080 is better than the 970 in every single way and it has RTX graphics.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the card crashing but rest a sure that if it does you’ll be forced online hoping to get a 3000 series card because you’re gonna have a very difficult time finding another 2080.

It wouldn’t be such a bad thing if the crypto minors were buying 2000 series cards and leaving the 3000 series loan but in order to make that happen I need the card manufacturers to absolutely cripple gaming cards to make it so that the script a Ponzi scheme nonsense can’t ever be used again on cards that are specifically created for that crowd.

I need them to embed hardware that detects Crypto mining and automatically disables the card. Apple is a company that I could trust to do something like that but I need Nvidia an AMD to respond in kind.
LOLCALMDOWN. It's mining, why U have to be mad? You want hardware DRM go buy an Apple PC with your "Tuber bucks and make a video about how great it is.

The rest of us will patiently wait for the mining craze to die down and dirt cheap cards to hit the market, just like 2014 and 2018.

I'm hoping the improved availability of AMD cpu's will lead to better availability of Xbox series X. I've been trying to get my hands on one for 2 months now. This sucks but fortunately the price sticks to msrp.

This is not just wrong, it is so grossly and ridiculously wrong that I hereby offer to buy any and all 3060TIs you find me for $600.

3060TI's sell in Greece, an EU member state, for between 1099 Euros and 1499 Euros. That's so much above what you wrote in the OP, in fact I think it's triple what you mentioned in the OP, that I honestly don't know what to tell you.

https://www.skroutz.gr/c/55/kartes-...-RTX-3060-Ti.html?from=autocomplete&o=3060+ti

Greece, as a EU member state, has also suffered economic snafus and inflation not seen in the rest of the EU. It is not representative on the entire EU anymoreso then a EBAY listing for a 3090 at $4000 is representative of the US market.

We live in the USA. We aren't concerned with other country's pricing.

That's why the currency the writer listed was "$" instead of all that other stuff.

LOLCALMDOWN. It's mining, why U have to be mad? You want hardware DRM go buy an Apple PC with your "Tuber bucks and make a video about how great it is.

The rest of us will patiently wait for the mining craze to die down and dirt cheap cards to hit the market, just like 2014 and 2018.

Well fortunately, I was able to get the cards I wanted...but as for "patiently waiting"...The crypto nonsense is gonna have prices jacked up, probably till the 4000 series- maybe even beyond that.

Just nailed one of the MSRP priced 5800X from Newegg on Friday night, super excited for Tuesday for it and the rest of the parts to get here. FINALLY, prices dropped enough to get one reasonably.

Right now, pricing is just screwed up and is why I made the point in the previous thread that right now we're inside a window that you can get at least SOME of your parts at decent prices, snag them NAOW!

I'm grateful as hell that I snagged a 3090 on launch day at MSRP direct from the manufacturer. With the rest of this build now having been purchased also at MSRP as well, I do feel I did really well on this round. Even the ram was super cheap! Got it on a one day sale for 169.99 for 4x8Gb of 3200mhz RGB infested Corsair ram. And brand was a necessity to match the rest of my Corsair heavy build.

Edit: Special thanks to KShipper for being the one who didn't have a need to tell me what to buy and instead focused on PRODUCTIVE advice that actually helped me. Thank you again!

Last edited:
Well fortunately, I was able to get the cards I wanted...but as for "patiently waiting"...The crypto nonsense is gonna have prices jacked up, probably till the 4000 series- maybe even beyond that.
And what have you based your assumption on? We have no real case of crypto staying inflated in price, it always comes back down once people try to actually spend any of it and realize its not as easy as they thought.

FYI: if you look at GPU reviews during the previous two mining booms, you'll read the EXACT SAME COMMENTS from people swearing up and down the market was LOLDOOMED.

Having to live with Intel Integrated graphics for an unknown duration is the stuff of nightmares...I'm really wishing right now that I hadn't sold my old Nvidia 970
I've always kept a spare PSU, mouse & keyboard. I have a spare 1650 Super I was thinking of selling, but after the extreme shortages this past year and given my CPU has no iGPU at all, I'm definitely keeping that as a permanent long-term spare too even after things return to normal.

I have a spare 1650 Super I was thinking of selling, but after the extreme shortages this past year and given my CPU has no iGPU at all, I'm definitely keeping that as a permanent long-term spare too even after things return to normal.

My thinking was that the Integrated graphic on my CPU (9900K) WAS my spare GPU, just to last me a few days until I bought and received a new card.

The possibility that you simply wouldn't be able to buy a GPU, any GPU, was simply not part of my thinking when letting go of my old 970.

Who knew...🙄

Greece, as a EU member state, has also suffered economic snafus and inflation not seen in the rest of the EU. It is not representative on the entire EU anymoreso then a EBAY listing for a 3090 at $4000 is representative of the US market.

Greece cannot possibly see inflation not seen in the rest of the EU as they are part of the Euro Zone.

Checking pricing in Germany, the cheapest in stock cards I could find were:
3090: € 2,649 (Alternate)
3070: € 1,199 (Notebooksbilliger)
3060: € 599 (single fan models)
6900XT: € 1,899 (Asus liquid cooled)

All others are MIA at the retailers I checked - supply was a bit better a few weeks ago but if you need a GPU now it‘s not fun.

51rxmm.jpg

We live in the USA. We aren't concerned with other country's pricing.

That's why the currency the writer listed was "$" instead of all that other stuff.

What concerns you and yours is irrelevant.

The OP, though, did refer specifically to European pricing.

Cards like the RTX 3060 are being sold in Europe for the equivalent of $600, for a product with a $330 MSRP. It’s an absolute joke.

UNQUOTE

Next time read before you reply.

The crypto PONZI scheme is ultimately going to make it certain you can’t get the card you want at MSRP.

#1. You’ve got the federal government handing out welfare checks to people give me amount of $1400 which is close enough to the MSRP of an RTX 3090 in order to ensure that people who have one who really don’t need it will be able to leverage it against Microcenter or Amazon.

#2. You already had scalpers scalping these graphic cards prior to the bitcoin craze of 2020. Prices were already high simply because scalpers knew that they could get these outrageous fees since more and more people were building computers due to the quarantine.

#3. Now you have Linus telling people that they can use their computers to make small profits mining coins that are profitable such as a cerium which can probably be mind for about two years – which means that the price of Ethereum is going to be driven upwards.

The only solution is for the video card manufacturers to ship the cards directly to the consumer in order to completely cut out the scalper.

The over arching solution is for Congress to make crypto mining illegal. I don’t care how they do it. Bacon site environmental impact since the wasted energy produces more greenhouse gas. They just need to do it and they need to do it now.

So you are saying if they ship the card directly to consumers or I wont sell it and try to make a profit? Hmm makes sense.

During the Dutch bulb craze (aka tulipmania) folks were mortgaging and selling their real estate in order to 'invest' in tulip bulbs... it crashed badly.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/dutch_tulip_bulb_market_bubble.asp

There are many other examples over the centuries. This is just 'cryptomania'. It, too, will pass.

For a deeper read, see Popular Delusions by Mackay (free copy: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/24518/24518-h/24518-h.htm ).
This is an *****ic comparison for brainlets. The tulip bubble lasted one year and was pure speculation on a single luxury good. Crypto has grown and evolved significantly and has decentralized applications from gaming to finance and now the art world through NFTs.

Comet Lake CPUs are widely available and prices are very good (something never seen on Intel part since a while...). As of today, Intel CPU have more sense than AMD counterparts... I am an AMD user (5800X and 3600X in two of my three PCs) but I really hope AMD will take an hit for their price policy. Prices for 5600X and 5800X are ridiculous.

The tulip bubble lasted one year and was pure speculation on a single luxury good.

The roots (bad pun) of tulipmania were initiated in the late 1500s and rose to a prominent move beginning in the early 1630s, peaking in 1636, crashing in mid-1637. Mackay is still worth reading. Several other crazes are documented.

The current GPU price bubble looks like it is tied to crypto. Crypto might be dated from 2017. The recent breakout is just from December at around $20k; GPU is 'following'. Please see: https://www.investopedia.com/articles/stocks/10/5-steps-of-a-bubble.asp

Comet Lake CPUs are widely available and prices are very good (something never seen on Intel part since a while...). As of today, Intel CPU have more sense than AMD counterparts... I am an AMD user (5800X and 3600X in two of my three PCs) but I really hope AMD will take an hit for their price policy. Prices for 5600X and 5800X are ridiculous.

Wait, you feel $299 for 5600X and $449 for 5800X is ridiculous? I dunno about you, but I felt pretty good about paying $449 for the fastest 8 core gaming chip I can lay hands on until Rocket Lake launches to at least equal it. Though, to be fair, "fastest" is really really relative in this case, and not representing any major differences overall, more like 5% here, or 7% there. It's a title that was fairly earned, but I won't ignore how narrow that title lead is.

Great article! Hopefully you can publish this monthly! As for the crypto influence, GPUs can only be used for Ethereum mining, and Bitcoin now requires ASICs. Hopefully a day will come when ASICs are used for ALL crypto-mining and GPUs can just go to gamers and content creators. Until that happens, we're stuck in this situation.

During the Dutch bulb craze (aka tulipmania) folks were mortgaging and selling their real estate in order to 'invest' in tulip bulbs... it crashed badly.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/dutch_tulip_bulb_market_bubble.asp

There are many other examples over the centuries. This is just 'cryptomania'. It, too, will pass.

For a deeper read, see Popular Delusions by Mackay (free copy: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/24518/24518-h/24518-h.htm ).

The difference this year and 2017 is that multi-billion dollar publicly traded companies are facilitating the use of Crypto-currency, with Paypal & Square being the biggest. There is also talk of Visa & Mastercard getting in on the action. Once that happens, Crypto is mainstream and comparisons to other bubbles won't matter anymore.

Last edited:
Back