"CPU Error" but everything still works?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put together a new PC. I have had more trouble with this one than I have had with any other.

Anyway I get everything to working and running ok. I turn it off and come back to it the next day. I turn it on and get a vocal "CPU Error" turn it off and back on get it again. I turn off the power supply and turn it back on. It starts up and gives me a "Cmos Checksum Error defaults loaded" on the start up screen. I go into the BOIS reset Defaults. "This is what the manufactures told me to do" Restart it everything is cool.

The problem is every morning I turn it on I go threw this same thing over and over every day. "CPU Error" than turn it off "CMOS Checksum Error" Reset it the defaults... bla bla bla

Other than this it runs fine, doesn't over heat, or give me this when I turn it off during the day.

I have cleared the Cmos, reset the chip, and Flashed the BIOS. It still does this. Any idea?

System spec....P4 2.8 800/FSB.....Aopen AX4C-Max MB... DDR 512MB...NV Geforce 4 Ti 4600.... SB Audigy Gamer sound card.
Windows XP Pro.

OK ?

I'm sorry there guy, but what does that have to do with my problem?

I know how to clear the "Cmos" I wasn't asking that. I have done that already anyway.

My question was what are the possible causes of my "CPU Error" when I turn on my comp and than when I turn the power supply off and back on it starts up, but gives me the "Checksum Error". I have already reset defaults.

I get it every time I turn it on in the morning? Other than this it runs fine, but I know it isn't normal to have to go threw this ritual every time I turn it on.

that's what the post talks about

that reseting the defaults................ would cause that stupid error...........forcing you to go back and save..............if i read that right........as a way to resolve that issue

Resetting the defaults causes the "CPU Error" and then a "Checksum Error"? I have also tried just continuing and ignoring the Checksum error at start up. It goes on normal like nothing is wrong again.

How do I repair whatever is causing this over and over again? The manufacturers are no help here. They say it's just a new computer and it's a month old now.

The post you gave me from what I can tell has nothing to do with my "CPU Error" at start up. My computer just says "CPU Error" over and over. Tell I turn off the main power supply. If I don't turn that off it won't start up. When I turn the power supply back on and than switch the computer on it starts up and gives me the "Cmos checksum error"

I can ether reset the system defaults or ignore it. Ether way the next morning when I turn it on I have to go threw it all over again. That is what my post is about................

I don't know if I'm causing damage to the hardware by using the computer. I don't know if I fix anything, because I can turn it off a dozen times all day. It won't happen tell I turn it off for a long period of time or at night and back on for the morning.

This is a very odd problem for me and I'm not sure what to do with this "$^@&!#*" thing. :mad:

What type of Power Supply do you have? Maybe your cpu isnt recieving the necessary power when you start it up, maybe it kinda warms up, or resets itself or something....

I had a mb with similars problem. CMOS Error, Press F1 Load defaults. End up having a bad mb. Since MB is 1 month old, I would send back to the CO I purchased it from.

You have reset CMOS, Flash BIOS and there is nothing else to do but send back. You will lose hairs trying to figure that out. Get a replacement board.

Is your CMOS battery good? Try replacing it with a fresh battery and see if the problem persists. Otherwise, it is likely your board is bad.

You may even want to try flashing your BIOS, although its risky business in your situation. I'll let you do that at your own discretion. ;)

"CPU error" usually happens when the CPU speed is wrongly detected. This can happen when the CMOS is cleared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back