Cpu fan won't turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred

I built a new computer but the CPU fan won't work and I get no video. The CPU is an Intel Core2 Duo and it came with a fan. When I turn the computer on the phase lights on the motherboard light up and the other fans turn on (including the video card fan) but the CPU fan wont turn on. I rechecked and made sure I plugged the wire into the correct spot. The motherboard has a connector for the CPU power that has 4 pins open and 4 pins covered by a plastic plug. The power supply comes with two wires that have 4 pins, one says 12V and the other just has an arrow (->) on it. So I plugged just the 12V one into the open connector on the motherboard and didn't use the other one. The fan has a connector on the board right next to the CPU that's labeled CPU fan and that is a four pin connector. So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. The CPU instructions said "don't use thermal grease, thermal grease was pre-applied to the heatsink." So I didn't. Any ideas on how to get this thing to post?

m/b: Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P(rev. 2.1)
CPU: Intel core 2 duo 3ghz
Nvidia e-GE force9600 GT
OS Win XP SP2
Memory : Kingston DDRII 6400
PSU: 500W

I think I found my problem. I was searching forums, and I found this. According to this thread Gigabyte motherboards need a different kind of PSU, one requiring a "-5v pin connector. Has anybody else heard of this? I think my original post was under the wrong topic, it wasn't the fan.

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/263404.aspx

A friend bought the gigabyte board on Newegg. The PSU ordered was an Enermax Liberty 500w DxX, and the 2nd one I have is a was a Dynex 400w DX-400WPS that I bought today just to see if it was just a bad PSU. Neither one works with that Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back