Cpu high,low pc and system idle proceess 90%

Status
Not open for further replies.

itaosl

Hi
I have a problem.My CPU is extremely high, almost 100%.By checking the task manager I find that the system idle process is 90%.The Laptop now is very slow with a consistently low loadind.I have checked for virus,spywares, malwares,adawars.Nothing was found . I also also fixed the registry errors and defraged the hard disc.There's also enough space available in the HD. I finally checked the msconfig.exe but I thinjk it is ok.I do not understand what is going wrong.Could you be help me?
thanks

My system is
WINXP MEDIA CENTRE EDITION (including all the updates)
cpu intel coreduo T2300, 1,66GHZ
1 GB/go ddr2 sdram(533)

Tell us how many processes yoy have running in the task manager.
If more than 45/50 you should weed a few out.
Also tell us what sort of memory (PF) use you have.
This is what mine looks like.

Attachments

• WTM.jpg
    WTM.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 18
Do an OS (operating system) restore... The tools to do this should be located in the "All Programs" or laptop utilities area of the laptop computer

AlbertLionheart said:
Tell us how many processes yoy have running in the task manager.
If more than 45/50 you should weed a few out.
Also tell us what sort of memory (PF) use you have.
This is what mine looks like.

Please tell me how did you create that image of your task manager.I will upload mine!

This is the best performance I can get!
I let my system idle for some time before get the data.

Attachments

• tmg_performance.gif
    tmg_performance.gif
    59.6 KB · Views: 24
I can't read most of the important data... How many processes are you running? I'm running 48

Here' my tmg.
Look at System Idle process!
avp.exe is Karsperky Internet Security now gets up as well(some time up to 48)!

more than 70.Try view the file using Mozilla firefox.I think the answer will be to remove some program...

Attachments

• task-manager.gif
    task-manager.gif
    40 KB · Views: 22
itaosl,
I can't read these images, can you? The text looks like a chicken with ink on its feet walked all over the image...

Again,

"Do an OS (operating system) restore... The tools to do this should be located in the "All Programs" or laptop utilities area of the laptop computer"...

uninstall programs that you don't use and do a disc cleanup in my computer (my computer > right click on hard drive > disc cleanup)

it is normal for system idle processes to run at very high numbers, it always makes it so that the total cpu usage adds up to 100% but i'm not really sure why ;)

you have quite erratic cpu usage but that could be normal if you have nearly 80 processes running, depending on what programs they are and what they're doing

it would help if you went into msconfig and looked at the startup items that don't need to be there, like quicktime, winzip, itunes etc. basically non essential things that you don't really use or don't need at startup, e.g. the itunes helper thing loads at startup and as far as i can tell that just makes itunes open a bit faster (i didn't notice much difference before and after i disabled it) so you don't really need that, and i bet you've never used winzip quick picks ;) (if you have winzip installed :D)

1. System Idle Process indicates just what it sounds like: it indicates how idle your computer is. It's good if that number is high. CPU Usage should be (100% - usage of Sytem Idle Process)
  2. Instead of Task Manager, download Process Explorer and use it instead. Then click on the CPU column to sort processes by CPU usage to see what's eating your CPU
  3. It's normal for some processes to run high CPU usage for bursts of time. And expect your AntiVirus to run higher usage if it's doing a scan at the time
  4. You can also use Process Explorer to figure out what those processes are easier. Right click and select Search Online, you;ll easily surf for process name and find a description of what it is/doing

Thanks Mailpup... I got it now ;)

When I see this massive CPU usage, system slowdown, I have never been that successful at speeding up the affected system without restoring or reinstalling Windows

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

80 running processes is way too many and no doubt is the cause of the slowness.

Go and read this thread HERE and post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This is my HijackThis file.
Now it is more clear what is going on,
Any suggestion?I would like to avoid by all means formating my laptop.
thanks!

LookinAround said:
  1. System Idle Process indicates just what it sounds like: it indicates how idle your computer is. It's good if that number is high. CPU Usage should be (100% - usage of Sytem Idle Process)
  2. Instead of Task Manager, download Process Explorer and use it instead. Then click on the CPU column to sort processes by CPU usage to see what's eating your CPU
  3. It's normal for some processes to run high CPU usage for bursts of time. And expect your AntiVirus to run higher usage if it's doing a scan at the time
  4. You can also use Process Explorer to figure out what those processes are easier. Right click and select Search Online, you;ll easily surf for process name and find a description of what it is/doing

Kasperky recognizes this utility as a Trojan

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    22.8 KB · Views: 12
that link comes straight from the microsoft site so unless it's redirecting you to somewhere else then it should be ok :)

HJT is definitely not a trojan.

Here`s one reason your laptop is so slow.

You`re running Windows defender/Stopzilla/Kaspersky/Symantec/Spyware detector

Uninstall all the above, except for kaspersky.

For instructions on getting rid of Symantec, see HERE.

Then, once you`ve done that, post a fresh HJT log.

Regards Howard :)

"I was referring to Process Explorer"...

You've got real problems. I doubt if you can avoid reinstalling Windows after doing a full format of the hard drive

Hey Howard,
I've replaced the Windows Task Manager with the Process Explorer and I really like it. Itaosl's system is really loaded with crap. Most laptops that come in to me for repair look much the same. A Windows restore is my most widely used repair option in these...

I was referring to Process Explorer
  1. i copied the Process Explorer link after pulling up the page myself from the Microsoft site. I never used Kapersky AV but i know a legit Process Explorer ain't no Trojan!
  2. A quick eyeball of the hjt log shows multiple copies of spyware programs running for starters (and i always thought Windows Defender was a pig)
  3. Go to the Microsoft web site yourself. Download Process Explorer (and Autoruns while you're at it) to see detail on all processes and real detail on everything gettting loaded/started on your system. These utils also let you sort by column name (e.g. Company) making it easier to spot things out of place (e.g. are you still using Symantec software for anything?). These utils also provide lots of other useful stuff - like a couple mouse clicks performs an Internet search on a process name so you can identify what it really is and if you need it. The utils really let you get "up close and personal" with what;s running/getting loaded to tak a close look and remove BS from your machine. Plus its worth the time to just get familiar with them and all info they can tell you.
  4. Personally, i think there's lots you can do (if you want to take the time and effort) before doing a reformat and reinstall. But play it safe and do things like creating restore points and best yet do periodic backups to CYA alongn the way

I'm using a activated copy of Windows LiveOne Care now. I have been running it for over 3 months now, without any major issues. It handles virus, spyware and malware protection, and it has a backup utility too. I like CCleaner... And Acronis. Take care of your temp files and cookies regularly and watch those toolbars. Many are spyware/malware portals. Anything AOL is malware in my opinion. Watch those P2P programs like Napster and Limewire... and last but not least... Anything Symantec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back