CPU just wont overclock, help me out

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadassCyborg

Im trying to overclock a phenom 8750 triple core from 2.4GHz to ............well anything higher. Ive tried improving the voltages, ram speed as well as the cpu speed but i cant get past 2.46GHz without my comp not being able to boot up. When i go past 205MHz on the cpu speed and save&exit bios my comp doesnt boot up - no signal on my monitor and then i have to reset the bios using the jumper on the mobo.

So heres my specs:
phenom 8750
abit AN-M2 motherboard
ATI 4850 512mb
2gb ram
500W PSU

Im guessing that my 500w psu might be too weak to handle overclocking but the problem could lie somewhere else, please post with your thoughts on this.
Thanks

Phenoms are rubbish at overclocking. There is nothing you can do to improve this, save getting a new motherboard with a 790FX\790GX chipset, which improve the OCing potential on Phenoms. But if you are going to spend that much, you would be better off saving up and spending $100 or so more on a far more OC-friendly Phenom II chip.

Phenoms are rubbish at overclocking. There is nothing you can do to improve this, save getting a new motherboard with a 790FX\790GX chipset, which improve the OCing potential on Phenoms. But if you are going to spend that much, you would be better off saving up and spending $100 or so more on a far more OC-friendly Phenom II chip.

Hmmmmm I heard that phenoms had quite good overclocking abilities and could be overclocked to at least 2.8GHz. I will eventually upgrade my motherboard as it is a bog standard one and i will eventually want 2 or more pci-e slots for another gpu so i can only hope that a fancy motherboard will allow it to overclock.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Hi,

This guy got it to 2.7 GHz: extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2322185,00.asp

This guy got it to 2.9 GHz: legitreviews.com/article/697/12/ and said:

"When it came to cranking up the voltages and going for the gold we took the CPU voltage to the max (1.5Vcore) and was able to reach 2.9GHz by increasing just the bus frequency on the Phenom X3 8750 processor. The final result was an overclock of 504MHz, which is about what we have seen on other B3 quad-cores in the past."

This guy got 3 Ghz: bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2008/04/23/amd_phenom_x3_8750/2

This guy got 2.58 GHz: overclockersclub.com/reviews/amd_phenom_x3_8750/3.htm

Some of these might be the B3 vs B2 models. One thing you could do is sell yours on ebay for $130-160 (I just checked what they were going for) and then buy a different new retail AM2+ processor from NewEgg.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core black edition Processor - Retail
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103300
$78

AMD Phenom 8450 Toliman 2.1GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Triple-Core Processor - Retail
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103254
$92.99

Good Luck,

Adrian

LOL, you advocate replacing a Phenom processor with another marginally better Phenom just to overclock? And you seem to forget that his motherboard is AM2-only.

Ive just tried increasing the voltage and messing around with the PCI speeds and RAM speeds but had no luck, it just tells me to reset the clocks. Shortly after my computer froze and my mobo started making a siren like noise (not your normal 'plug the power into the GPU you *****' noise), it sounded quite serious so i had to reset everything. I dont think I'll bother till I get a new mobo.

What does a man have to do to get GTA4 to run smoothly.....

Nothing can run GTA4 smoothly now without lowering a lot of the settings. Its essentially Crysis in a new form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back