CPU leak shows Intel beating AMD and Nvidia (at counting)

mongeese

Staff
Something to look forward to: Counting is a difficult skill for companies that are made of scientists and mathematicians and programmers. You know that Microsoft got to 10 and gave up, and that Apple forgot that 10 is a number and not a letter. So historically 10 is the difficult number. But the word on the street is, Intel have figured out how to count past it – correctly.

You’ll recall that AMD have never, in fact, counted to 10. When the Athlon processors reached the 9000-series, they invented the Ryzen architecture so they could start over. Nvidia did manage to get to 10 with only a few minor hiccups (who needs 8?) but then they thought the next number was 20 so they had to go back and add 16.

Intel is presently at the turning point: they’re halfway through the release of their 10th generation processors. The pressure is on. What will they call their next generation? A new Intel processor has appeared in the 3DMark database called the i7-1185G7. If it truly is a member of the 11th generation, then Intel will be the only computer hardware company to have developed basic numeracy.

In name, the Core i7-1185G7 is a flagship Tiger Lake processor. Tiger Lake is the successor to Ice Lake and a response to AMD’s new Renoir APUs. Like the Renoir APUs, Tiger Lake combines a CPU and a GPU on one chip to optimize efficiency in graphic-intensive tasks, like gaming. Like Renoir again, the combined CPU and GPU performance is enough for esports titles and lightweight video editing, but only just competitive with budget discrete solutions.

According to the variety of appearances the i7-1185G7 has put in (under codenames, until now) it makes use of four Willow Cove CPU cores and 96 Xe GPU EUs. CPU clock speeds remain unknown however the “5” in its name suggests the i7-1185G7 will use 25W, so it’ll probably have a base clock just under 3 GHz and a boost clock around 5 GHz. The GPU is expected to operate at up to 1.5 GHz.

From the specs alone this processor seems to lean more towards the GPU side than the CPU side, which is the opposite of Renoir, so we’ll have to wait and see how it plays out in the real world.

Of course, that’s not all Tiger Lake has to offer. With Intel’s newfound counting skills (not that they’ve admitted to it yet, trade secrets and all) they’ve unlocked a whole range of new technologies. For example, they’ve figured out that four comes after three so now there’s PCIe 4.0 support. And USB 4.0. And Thunderbolt 4. And five comes after four, so they’re upgrading from DDR4 to LPDDR5. That could bring very serious performance improvements, but it’s still early days for LPDDR5 so not every system will make use of it. Tiger Lake can also be paired with miniature motherboards, pictured top.

If only they could count down from 10 when designing the physical dimensions (in nm) of the internal components of their processors. It seemed like they had got it sorted when they realized 14+++ is not a smaller number than 14 and they switched to 10. But they’ll be using 10++ for Tiger Lake.

Given Tiger Lake processors are now appearing under their own names, their release can only be months away. We'll have to wait and see.

Permalink to story.

If tech progress was left up to the nasty talons of Intel and AMD still blundered with FAILDOZER and FAILDOZER derivatives, value CPU's would have 2 cores like Wolfdale, mainstream CPUs would have 4 cores and no HT like Nehalem and above mainstream CPUs would have 4 cores and HT like...the 7700K which they released, I am reminding you, in Jan 2017.

IMO, it's gonna take a few more years until Intel release 10nm desktop CPUS or even 7nm desktop CPUS.

I believe next year they will release yet another 14nm desktop CPU family as mainstream contenders. Only U models and such will perhaps be on 10nm.

The only winner is the consumer.

I'm team Intel all the way, but I want them to have competition just to ensure their prices get knocked down so the people can have the new stuff at discounts.

Same goes for Nvidia.

God AMD please please price big Navi only $50 less than the Nvidia equivalent, if big Navi competes with the 3080ti and the 3080ti cost $1500, please price the big Navi @ $1450, we don't want people like this to get Nvidia hardware for cheap, since they adore Nvidia, they should bend over and gladly pay Huang the money :)

(...)
I'm team Intel all the way, (...)
Why?
I've never understand this being a fan of a specific company. They're a company. They have no affinity towards you as a person, they are not family or friends. Choose the product that suits your need and costs the least (in terms of tco, not up-front price). Brand should be very low on the criteria list. In fact even for a company Intel has proven to have absolutely no interest in providing for you. For the past ten years they have done little to no innovation, while keeping prices as high as they can. They have engaged in anti-competetive bribing and strong-arming to force companies to use their chips exclusively. They flat-out said to Asus and the likes that they would either not sell them anything anymore or only at extremely elevated prices if they dared to bring out a laptop with an AMD processor. That's not only illegal, it's immoral to boot.
Intel does not care about you. They only care about money.

And no, AMD does not care about you either, but at least they give Intel some incentive to improve.

Personally I will choose a product of the underdog if it ticks all the requirements boxes and the price is equivalent. And no, Intel is not the underdog at the moment, even though they are underperforming.

Mr editor. Tigerlake uses Willow Cove cores, not Sunny Cove. Then, 1185G7 means 15W. 1188G7 means 28W.
You're right about Willow Cove, I can't believe I missed that. It was written down correctly in my notes. Thanks for pointing that out.

I think you've misunderstood the TDP naming conventions though. In the 10-series, for example, both a 1068G7 and 1065G7 both exist, the former at 28 W and the latter available in 25 W and 15 W configurations. The same is expected for this new generation, but some fairly credible indicators suggest that Intel is (in early testing and marketing at least) touting the 1185G7 at 25 W. Probably to compete better with Renoir, which it would struggle to do at 15 W because Renoir is more efficient.

This won't even be competitive against the 3400G. Not a big achievement Intel...
Did I get something wrong or am I right not to be hyped about this chip at all?

God AMD please please price big Navi only $50 less than the Nvidia equivalent, if big Navi competes with the 3080ti and the 3080ti cost $1500, please price the big Navi @ $1450, we don't want people like this to get Nvidia hardware for cheap, since they adore Nvidia, they should bend over and gladly pay Huang the money :)

It doesnt matter, Nvidia is better at power efficiency than AMD. If AMDs cards are $50 cheaper but run 100w higher, smart people will still buy nvidia. AMD can contend, but they do so at a much higher power envelope not to mention they always have more driver issues than Nvidia.

If they could solve those issues, then I would gladly buy AMD.

It doesnt matter, Nvidia is better at power efficiency than AMD. If AMDs cards are $50 cheaper but run 100w higher, smart people will still buy nvidia. AMD can contend, but they do so at a much higher power envelope not to mention they always have more driver issues than Nvidia.

There's more to gfx than that. I've decked out machines with FirePros, because they were waaaay more suitable for the workload (autodesk Inventor) than Quadros. For some use cases you need Cuda, for other use cases, AMDs compute units are actually better. Don't stare blindly at a benchmark number vs power draw. Take your particular requirements and find the best fit for your needs.

Yes listen to this AMD? It's perfectly fine to charge only $50 less, people only want you(AMD) to compete so that they can buy cheaper Nvidia cards, do not let them do so, make sure they pay $1500 to $2000 for the 3080ti :) since Huang is their almighty Lord and savior

First AMD needs to catch up to the 2080Ti.

Then, maybe in a year or three, they can focus on catching up to the 3080Ti.

"If it truly is a member of the 11th generation, then Intel will be the only computer hardware company to have developed basic numeracy."

Classic!

The Author is actually wrong. Took his time to write all this while failing at counting himself. How exactly 1185 is telling anyone 11th Generation? After 10990 comes 1185 and it means 11? Intel also started at ONE THOUSAND. I'm not sure what's the 1185 number called where the author lives, but where I do it means one thousand eighty five. So he wasted all his time to write all this and it was all wrong. If it had been i7-11850 G7, then it would mean exactly what he said, but at 1185 the whole article is useless...

The Author is actually wrong. Took his time to write all this while failing at counting himself. How exactly 1185 is telling anyone 11th Generation? After 10990 comes 1185 and it means 11? Intel also started at ONE THOUSAND. I'm not sure what's the 1185 number called where the author lives, but where I do it means one thousand eighty five. So he wasted all his time to write all this and it was all wrong. If it had been i7-11850 G7, then it would mean exactly what he said, but at 1185 the whole article is useless...
This is the successor of 1065G7. 10 - is the generation, others refer to CPU/GPU. 1185G7 is 11 - 11th gen, 85 refer to CPU/GPU.

That's kind of a reach. Since the naming comparison to an AMD chip isn't the numerical code is the stupid "I" numbering. So Intel can't count either, unless someone has an I2 or I1 etc handy.

As for brand loyalty, I've always liked AMD because you can get the most performance within a budget. Intel Fanboys are always talking about how much their processor does for x dollars but fail to mention that the motherboards needed for the same level of value on an Intel chipset have always cost more. You've never been able to buy one motherboard and have it stay with you for multiple generation upgrades. AMD still wins that battle. I can buy a B450 board for $80 and any of the last 3 generations of ryzen, from a $80 chip to a $500 chip and use the same board. Every time Intel standardizes a socket, it changes in the next chip line. Meaning in that over 5 years if I want to affordably keep up with being able to even use my computer, I have to replace my motherboard every time with Intel. Oh and remember RIMM... Ya that was super cost effective...

Back