CPU process spiked (~25% constant CPU usage)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have nowhere to seek out this problem, so i tell my problem here (if this under wrong section, feel free to move the thread.)

I built my own PC 3 months ago, and Ill loving it, but there this one problem, so irritating, i haven't found a good solution, or at least don't know where to start finding this solution. Can anyone help me on this?

I'll tell the specs first

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9550 2.83 GHz
Asus P5N72-t premium
ASUS nVidia GTX 280
Cooler Master 850W

running Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

Any internet apps, MOST notably deluge, when I run the software, suddenly, my CPU process gone haywire (constant ~25%).

core #1 gives 100% while others retained normal.

sound will be scratchy through there are no problems on speakers.

Internet turns into limited and won let me connect.

it wont happen normally but it is frequent on Deluge. even when i don't run deluge, itll happen at times.

I thought it was virus or malware, but i scanned it using bit defender and its clean.

I tried finding it on task manager, but can't find anything that might caused this.

I appreciate the most if anyone can help me on this one ..or at least give me a hint on these..or anything that can log these? it started to get annoying.

Regards,
ZERO2

Take a look at the processes tab rather than performance and see what process is using the most.

Checked and rechecked, it's really clean... the last 3 process are all logitech GamePanel application. that's what I thought.

if you spot any anomalies, could you tell me what it is?

Attachments

• Process.jpg
    Process.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 9
checked and rechecked, it's really clean... the last 3 process are all logitech GamePanel application. that's what i thought.

if you spot any anomalies, could you tell me what it is?

I'm not sure you understand the approach watching process vs. CPU usage. (And overall i much prefer Process Explorer (PE) to Task Manager for probem solving tho they both do the same job for this first step other then i prefer the PE iconized view)

• Install Process Explorer
  • Click Options and set Hide when Minimized, Allow Only One Instance, Confirm Kill, CPU History in Tray Icon
  • Whenever PE is open, you can click CPU column header to see processes sorted by CPU usage. When usage high, check top of the list, OR
  • Minimize PE. Note the red and green waves through its system tray icon
    • Green indicates total CPU usage
    • Red indicates the process using most the most the CPU time
    Hover cursor over the icon to get the info
Whenever total CPU usage seems high you can quickly eyeball the small icon view and hover mouse over icon for quick info or open PE to check more detail on which process(es) are using up most it

sorry i have to bump this, its kinda much emergency stuff.

Well what you linked was either cropped or the space saving version of task manager. According to what you linked, your overall CPU wasn't at 25% when you took the screenshot. If you screenshot the whole window down at the bottom section it will show total CPU usage.

In any case, in what you attached your CPU usage was very low there (~2%).

I feel your pain. I have the exact same issue. R&P monitor shows ~25% usage but task manager does not report the usage. If you look at the performance window it will show one of the cores at ~25% usage and the other(s) similar to that reported in task manager, low ~2%.

So, yes there is a problem. Does anyone have a GOOD idea?

Well what you linked was either cropped or the space saving version of task manager. According to what you linked, your overall CPU wasn't at 25% when you took the screenshot. If you screenshot the whole window down at the bottom section it will show total CPU usage.

In any case, in what you attached your CPU usage was very low there (~2%).

oh shoot i ddn't noticed that. ill find another later, but it suppose be ~2% rite? it ddn't anyway. its 25% CPU usage nonetheless. i'll re-make the error again later, and definitely post it properly.

and hope that processor explorer catches something.

Thats an interesting link InlineTwin.

shazero2 - If you really were seeing 25% cpu (1 core at 100%) when you took that screenshot, and those processes don't add up to 25%, maybe you do have some hardware conflict thing. I'd try updating your motherboard chipset drivers, video drivers, sound drivers, and whatever else is attached to your motherboard and see if that helps.

I started to think it is hardware conflict that's happening. its happened again, and I have captured a screenshots of it.

Attachments

• process explorer.jpg
    process explorer.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Process.jpg
    Process.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 5
  • process explorer 2.jpg
    process explorer 2.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 5
Is also interesting to note... Maybe was chance timing when you took snapshots but note that while Task Manager shows low CPU usage (which would be equal 100% - System Idle Time) look at Process Explorer which says.. about 25%!

oh yes. i understood 25% as to be "overall" regardless of the underlying math.

But regardless of above, Task Manager is showing only 6%!. Because
overall CPU usage = 100% - System Idle Time %
and Task Manager shows Idle Time at 94% (at least in your snapshot)

well

1. If in fact that what Task Manager was telling you about CPU usage then it's WRONG. Rely on Process Explorer

2. Look at the process list in PE. They're sorted by CPU usage
==> System Idle 71% means overall CPU usage at 29% which is consistent with what you say is occurring
==> So where is this coming from???? Well, look at the next processes in the list! Interrupts and DPCs together total up to make 24% of that 29%!
==> So i think that's what to focus on. (and i didn't read Inline's link yet but sounds like it was something to also look at and in fact may be related to the two processes we find eating your cpu (which aren't real processes, per se, actually but represent hardware related events)
==> As for things to do to find out more about these two processes for analysis is something would have to get back to you on...

Process explorer 2 (your screenshot) shows Interrupts are taking up that 19%. So it is a hardware issue. So again I'd suggest updating all of your hardware/chipset drivers. Then perhaps disabling hardware that you aren't using in your bios (like serial port, parallel port, whatever else).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back