CPU repetitive clicking

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is driving me nuts. I have an emachine. Before that I had a computer made by a computer repair shop, Comp-u-save. The comp-u-save one was hit by lightning. I decided to get another computer. Someone suggested emachine, so I bought it.

The problem is there is this loud repetitive clicking sound coming from the CPU. As if something was being shut on and off, on and off. Both my emachine and compusave computers did the same thing. I have 2 hard drives in my emachine because I need the info on both hard drives. I also have an older hard drive that I thought I could attach to the computer from outside -- have not tried that yet.

Anyway, what is causing the clicking? Right now, I'm not having any other problems I can detect.

Kathy

First off Hello and Welcome to Techspot.

There are quite a few possibilities as to the clicking noise.

1. It could be one of your Hard Drives. This would also most likely be along with Laggy or Error Ridden use when accessing the drive.

2. It could be a fan or rattling from a fan.

So is there any other symptoms from this clicking? Or is it just a noise?

No, there is no other problem except the clicking. Oddly, it's quiet now. Should I have the computer looked at? Is it OK to have 2 hard drives in it?

Kathy

Yes, it is fine to have two HDs in at the same time. How do you have them set up? Have you got them both working ok?

If the noise returns and you feel comfortable doing so, you may want to take the side of your PC of, and look to see if you can locate the noise.

If you dont feel comfortable, (and that is ok too) and the noise returns, you could always let your local PC repair shop run some diagnostics.

But other then the Hard Drive and the Fans, and maybe a floppy drive, there arnet many more componets that could be putting out a clicking noise.

Sean

Dear Sean,

Thank you for your help. I don't feel comfortable in opening the computer. I am not having any problem with either drive. Also, I don't have a floppy drive on this emachine, and didn't notice it until I had bought it. There's also only 1 CD drive. I have never learned how to burn a CD. I have Nero software for it. I guess I can burn right to it from the computer, but can't make copies of existing CDs.

Again, the computer is quiet.

Kathy

You can burn Direct Copys of CDs, it just takes a bit more work.

I do not have Nero Software (although i hear its great) but I found what appears to be a manual Here

Scroll to page 91, and read about burning a CD using an Image.

Good Luck with the PC.

Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back