CPU Spiking

Timothee Legros

My CPU usage is randomly spiking to 100 every 2 minutes or so sometimes causing the computer to crash.

I have a Intel Core i7-6500U 2.5GHz
Attached is a picture of the spiking over time.

Is this a common issue, is there a fix, or what can I troubleshoot to attempt a fix.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    87.6 KB · Views: 0
How many programs are running at the same time? Could be swapfile expansion...

My guess is it's MS Update pulling fragments for the next update. There's lots of software that 'phones home' to just see if there are updates, like Google Update, most AV.

I'm on a laptop and preserve battery as much as possible - - by NEVER allowing auto updates on anything. That means I have to take responsibility to run them (gulp) manually, like at least once a month.

W10 is still very beta, it's a dog for performance also.
While testing it you don't really see much performance differenace between it and something like w8 or w7 in benches, what they don't show you is how much more CPU it takes over those for the same workloads.
My main work involves helping streamers and content creators with stream settings and other computer related stuff.
every last desktop or laptop I've worked with between w7 and w10 have had far less issues with cpu load under w7.
me personally, if I try to stream on obs with a ultrafast cpu preset and game within w10, my old i7-3770k would run solid 100% cpu load and likely crash the game or obs would lock up. Now doing the same test within w7 I can use a medium preset and only really get to about 60-75% cpu load without any issues. That's a MASSIVE performance difference.
What I would do is try jumping down to w7, do the same tasks and see what happens with the laptop. If these problems don't persist, then the culprit is the OS. I'm about 98% sure that's the problem, as I've seen it so many times and it's pretty much the default I tell every last person that needs CPU workload to do and they all report back that they have a far better time with their tasks.

When Garbage Collection repeatedly runs in the JVM, CPU consumption will start to spike. Garbage Collection is a computation-intensive operation, as it requires marking, sweeping, compacting, and relocating objects in the memory.

When an application is suffering from a memory leak, it will continuously create objects without releasing them. Once the application’s memory usage hits the threshold point, Garbage Collection is triggered. Garbage Collection will complete its run, but the Garbage Collection process won’t be able to free up the memory, as the objects are actively referenced.

Now JVM will once again check whether memory usage is high because Garbage collection didn’t free up any memory space.

Back