CPU Usage problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

gavinseabrook

Hey all,

Now it is your turn to help me lol. Im having this problem where my computer gets to windows and I notice that the CPU usage is at 100% on startup. This is normal for startup programs and such, except once the computer is all booted up, and all the startup programs turn on, my CP usage hovers around 60-90%. Sometimes I could restart the computer, and it will do the same thing, sometime I will start it and it will go down to 0-10%. Ive checked for virus/spyware and nothing. Ive checked startup programs, and turned off all the ones i dont need to run all the time. And I have even checked my event viewer for anything related to sucking up a lot of usage. But no results. Has anyone else had this happen or am I just crazy. Well im going to try to restart it now and see if I get similar results.

SPECS:

p4x400 Ultra plat. Soyo MOBO
1 GB Corsair XMS pc2700
X1950 Radeon (AGP)
3 HD's totalling 320 GB
Pentium 4 2.66 Ghz
and an Audigy 2 Platinum

Any suggestions will help :D

Open the Windows Task Manager. Click on the Processes tab. Click twice on the top of the CPU column to arrange the processes by order of CPU usage. What process is taking up most of the CPU?

System Idle Process. The 2nd up would be Iexplorer jumping to around 65 or so. But the CPU usage is still high with IE closed.

System Idle Process is not an actual process taking up CPU power; it only shows how much CPU is not being used. Did you mean iexplore.exe? Because iexplorer.exe is some kind of malicious software.

Could you post a HijackThis log as per these instructions? That will help us to know if malware is causing the problem.

Regards :)

Your HJT log is clean.

Try this and let us know if it helps.

Right click my computer and select properties. Click the Automatic updates tab and turn off automatic updates. Click apply/ok and reboot your system.

Regards Howard :)

Well I went ahead and turned off the Automatic Updates, and that seemed to do the trick. Right now my cpu usage is between 0 and 10. I will want to keep an eye on it, just due to the fact that it was kinda random when it happend. Sometimes I could restart and it would work fine, and other times I could restart 5 times and have it be the same way. Thanks for the tip Howards. No wonder your the "Special Forces" lol. I will have to buy you a drink if your ever in el paso. BTW can you tell me why the automatic updates could be a cause?

It is a known issue at the moment, when Microsoft will fix the problem I don`t know, but let`s hope it`s real soon. See HERE for info on Windows updates and high cpu usage.

Just remember to check manually for any Windows updates.

Hmm indeed. Well I will go ahead and leave this thread open for 3 days. If I see no more problems after 3 days, then you could become my heterosexual life mate lol. Oh, wait...I mean close out the thread lol. Thanks for your help guys.

Well, im sad to report that this problem has arisen again. I still have my automatic updates turned off, and I even turned off the service for it. Im starting to think it is the ram, because sometimes during POST when it is checking the memory, sometimes it pauses for a second. I might try running memtest on it, see if it might be going bad. Try the ol one stick at a time and all that junk, but it was running great for a while there.

Well, I do believe I have found the culprit. It seems like whenever I have my Ipod plugged in before I turn the computer on, it makes my mem wig out i guess. Im going to test it out in more detail in a while. I will be sure to keep you posted on it though. Thanks for the speedy reply Howard

Yup, the culprit is the Ipod. If i boot up my computer with it plugged in, the memory tests messes up and windows is bogged down like crap. Yet if I boot it up with the ipod disconnected, it works fine. Even when I connect the Ipod when im in windows, it runs fine. I guess its just some kind of boot issue.

That`s something I`ve never heard of, but thanks for letting us know. It would be interesting to find out if there is a solution to this that doesn`t require the ipod to be disconnected prior to booting.

Well, i ran more tests. About 20 reboots, 10 with the ipod plugged in, 10 with it not plugged in. Sure enough that is the culprit. No biggie though, the only time I plug it in is to charge it lol.

gavinseabrook, u can set the BIOS where it does not to look at the Ipod when booting by just dropping any external devices on boot in the BIOS. make the A: drive #1, CD #2, and hard drive #3. then if it has a #4 just delete it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back