CTRL ALT DEL and Adjust Date/Time won't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerRampant

I recently changed from XP Home to XP Professional and changed from Word 97 to Microsoft Office 2003, and I subsequently noticed that when I pressed CTRL ALT DEL the Task Manager no longer popped up, also I can't change Date/Time by clicking on the date, or by right clicking and selecting Adjust Date/Time

I installed and ran an enormous long list of programs (after rebooting in Safe Mode and disabling System Restore) including:
Adaware + VX2 plugin
AVG Anti-Spyware
About Buster
ATF Cleaner
CWShredder
HijackThis (in it's own folder)
Look2Me-Destroyer
Spybot S&D
VirtumundoBeGone
VundoFix
Smitfraudfix
Rdrivrem

Then I went through the HJT log and checked for a long list of things as listed in this thread and fixed about 6 items

I then looked for any of the folders listed in that thread, ready to delete them, but didn't have any of them. I deleted all files and folders from: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Temp for all users, then cleared all caches and cookies. I then booted normally, enabled System Restore and did a full AV scan

CTRL ALT DEL still didn't bring up the task bar (except in Safe Mode), and I still couldn't change Date/Time (except in Safe Mode) :(

I then noticed a post further down in this thread which suggested that actually it's not a spyware problem, it's a problem related to the welcome screen that I was using to log on: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281980

Changing to a more "traditional" method of logging on now indeed brings me up the screen with Task Manager as an option when I press CTRL ALT DEL, but when I then press the Task Manager button nothing happens (unless I'm in Safe Mode)

So now I've renamed HijackThis to HijackThis1991, run the AVG Anti-Spyware again, run HJT again and I'm attaching both logs

Any constructive advice would be gratefully received, thanks :)

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your HJT log is clean.

However, I see you`re running Kids PC Time Administrator. one of the options of that programme is to disable the task manager. Make sure, it`s not the programme that`s causing your problem. See HERE, screen shot 4.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of RogerRampant only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

What a star you are, and thanks again for such a quick response! :)

I was under the impression that I had told it to disable CTRL ALT DEL for my daughter only, and that's certainly what the prog says I have done, but when I uninstall it the problem with CTRL ALT DEL disappears, so that prog is definitely the cause of that particular problem

I also told it not to let my daughter change system time, but when I look in the tab for me it shows that I am not allowed to change system time either, and unchecking that box gives me back my access to Change Time/Date as usual

Guess I will need to find another program to restrict my daughter's internet access with - thanks again for the help! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back