Cyberpunk 2077 patch 1.2 brings numerous fixes and ray tracing to AMD cards

jsilva

Recap: CD Projekt Red is surely keeping its promise to fix Cyberpunk 2077. After delaying the release of patch 1.2, the developer today announced the long-awaited update which is now available to PC and consoles, with Stadia to follow. Besides fixing an enormous list of bugs on all platforms, the new patch also adds ray tracing support for AMD graphics cards.

Initially scheduled to release earlier this year, the Cyberpunk 2077 patch 1.2 was postponed due to a hack against to CD Projekt Red. Today the developer has unveiled the extensive list of changes coming with the patch which is finally available to download on PC and consoles. Some of those changes are to the driving mechanics, which are optimized and adjusted to be more consistent regardless of the frame rate. Additionally, a steering sensitivity slider has been added to the controls settings.

There's also multiple fixes to the much-criticized NPC behavior. With the latest patch, NPCs should get stuck and trip over other NPCs less often. Moreover, those hit by a car should now run in panic immediately after the accident, and friendlies will now use cover correctly.

In the stability and performance section, it's stated that the changes mentioned affect all platforms, but players should notice a "bigger difference on last generation consoles and lower performance machines." The new patch will bring optimizations to the in-game engines, memory management system, and UI, resulting in less crashes, improved stability, and better performance.

As for graphics, audio, and animation fixes, the new patch comes with improvements to texture rendering in distant locations, materials details, internal and external light sources, and foliage destruction.

For those of you playing on PC (of course!), there are quite a few interesting additions. If you play on an AMD Radeon RX 6000 series graphics cards, once you update the game and have the latest drivers installed, you can enable ray tracing effects. Keyboard bindings are also improved, adding more keys to rebind, and there's now a dedicated "mod" folder, meaning you should move any mod from the "patch" folder to the new one or just rename it.

This isn't by far an in-depth list of all the changes coming with Cyberpunk 2077 patch 1.2. Those interested in reading all patch notes can take a look at the official changelog.

Permalink to story.

I feel like the game has lost some momemtum: I was kind of seeing many mods start popping out for the game and many fairly capable at fixing some of the issues but it has been steadily dwindling down due to CDPR "OMG we've got hacked" vacation.

Honestly I'm still not 100% convinced they'll ever get this to a working state and take like 1 to 2 years of very heavy patches (Think No Man's Sky) and maintain that they will just abandon the game at one point, probably after releasing a fairly bland and unimpressive DLC (As in, nothing like Witcher 3 DLC) but I might still be proven wrong.

Still most people should default to *not* believing CDPR will ever get this game right instead of thinking they might eventually get there as the default: they've got to rebuild trust and well, it's going slow: as slow as their patching.

I feel like the game has lost some momemtum: I was kind of seeing many mods start popping out for the game and many fairly capable at fixing some of the issues but it has been steadily dwindling down due to CDPR "OMG we've got hacked" vacation.

Honestly I'm still not 100% convinced they'll ever get this to a working state and take like 1 to 2 years of very heavy patches (Think No Man's Sky) and maintain that they will just abandon the game at one point, probably after releasing a fairly bland and unimpressive DLC (As in, nothing like Witcher 3 DLC) but I might still be proven wrong.

Still most people should default to *not* believing CDPR will ever get this game right instead of thinking they might eventually get there as the default: they've got to rebuild trust and well, it's going slow: as slow as their patching.

Have you tried the game on this patch?

I think it would be more interesting to see how this performs on PS4 with the patch updates.

Have you tried the game on this patch?

Not as of yet, precisely because of the aforementioned mods: I'm not updating for a few days until I get updates to the majority of them or are confirmed to work ok.

This patch overlaps with many of them but cyberengine tweaks for example addresses so many minor details it's already better even if I do miss on the performance and quest bugs patched.

And yes: to clarify this is absolutely not a CDPR issue: most heavily modded games break after every major update and most of the community never jumps straight away into a new patch (See Skyrim, Cities: Skylines, etc.)

End to end and the jokers play the game on a 390 to get the frames there as if by magic.
Good game for long haul or short.

This.

Looking at you Hardware Unboxed as some of the best RT coverage to date.
Ouch, not good at all. Looks like if you want to add any RT effects at all it is totally not worth it whatsoever on an RX6000 with the perf hit they take. a 3060Ti can match or exceed a 6900XT's RT performance, and that's before even using DLSS. Basically you'd only go for RT effects on an Nvidia GPU. No wonder first party AMD PC titles so far do only RT shadows so far, the lightest effect of all computationally. Hopefully some console magic works it's way to PC?

Last edited:
Back