Cyberpunk 2077's first DLC disappoints fans

midian182

Staff member
Facepalm: Those hoping that Cyberpunk 2077 could start making a No Man's Sky-style resurgence from a disappointing game into something special were left disappointed by the first DLC reveal yesterday. While CD Projekt Red had emphasized this will be a small piece of extra content, people were surprised by how little it offers.

CD Projekt Red used its official Twitch channel to preview Cyberpunk 2077's upcoming 1.3 patch and the DLC packaged with it. "Since launch, as all of you are definitely aware, things have not gone exactly as planned," said senior quest designer Patrick Mills. "There's not been a lot of communication from us about what's going on with the project, where we are with things, and why things are taking so long. This is our attempt to sort of try to fix that situation."

The changes introduced by the DLC are all cosmetic: an alternate appearance for Johnny Silverhand, two new Jackets for V, and a new vehicle called the Archer Quartz "Bandit," which will be available as a reward or to purchase.

There are some quality-of-life changes coming in the 1.3 patch, including the minimap automatically zooming out while driving and a button for reallocating perk points on the skill tree.

"These are small DLCs. I have seen people getting really hyped because, 'oh my god, DLCs are coming!' These are small DLCs. We'll be releasing more later," Mills said, with level designer Miles Tost explaining that the DLCs are different from the full-sized expansions arriving in the future, which should be comparable to The Witcher 3 add-ons Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine.

Despite the explanations and assurances, many viewers were unhappy with the DLC's content, or lack of it, and the stream's overall presentation; Tost comparing the patching of an already released game to "open-heart surgery" brought plenty of indignation from commentators.

Whether Cyberpunk 2077 will draw players back with its first expansion remains to be seen. By then, it could be a case of too little, too late.

Permalink to story.

My impression of CD Projekt Red is that they simply took the investors' money, and then did just enough to avoid massive lawsuits for embezzlement. Somebody must have sailed on a yacht from this, leaving a stinky pile for the rest. They should be investigated for how they distributed the funds.

The list of fixes in the patch notes is impressive (and a good step forward), but this also means it will probably take at least 1 if not 2 more years for this game to be as it was intended to be: complete and with as few issues as possible.

My impression of CD Projekt Red is that they simply took the investors' money, and then did just enough to avoid massive lawsuits for embezzlement. Somebody must have sailed on a yacht from this, leaving a stinky pile for the rest. They should be investigated for how they distributed the funds.
Investigated by whom? The investors got their paycheck, CP2077 sold like hotcakes. By gamers? Please, gamers would take out a mortgage to buy the latest slag dribbling from a sewer pipe. A regulatory agency? For what, selling a crap product? That isnt illegal anyways.

The REAL PROBLEM with Cyberpunk 2077 is that the mini missions and the grinding are so good, that you won't want to have to play the main storyline to get to them. I found the main story to be OK the first time around, but to have to go through all that annoyance 3 times in a row to experience all three mission trees is worth the game losing whole star.

On a mechanical level, I played through Cyberpunk twice (Corpo and Streetkid) from the moment it was released and suffered no major bugs UNTIL they started patching it. Then I suffered minor bugs like the music tracks playing erroneously and some game animations not working correctly.

There's also huge sections of the map that are desolate and unused. They would be great if they were opened up for DLC.

The REAL PROBLEM with Cyberpunk 2077 is that the mini missions and the grinding are so good, that you won't want to have to play the main storyline to get to them. I found the main story to be OK the first time around, but to have to go through all that annoyance 3 times in a row to experience all three mission trees is worth the game losing whole star.

On a mechanical level, I played through Cyberpunk twice (Corpo and Streetkid) from the moment it was released and suffered no major bugs UNTIL they started patching it. Then I suffered minor bugs like the music tracks playing erroneously and some game animations not working correctly.

There's also huge sections of the map that are desolate and unused. They would be great if they were opened up for DLC.

I found that all my bugs went away when I installed it on my 8TB samsung ssd and used 3 of my 3080ti cards in SLI. Maybe try that?

I am looking forward to the driving actually having a zoomed out minimap. Might actually enjoy making my way to places now I wont be constantly watching the minimap for some hint theres a corner coming (I never saw them fast enough, always overshooting)

CD Projekt Red have definitely lost a lot of gamers respect over the publishing of this game. But personally I think it’s an outstanding title, if you have an RTX card it runs relatively bug free and you should go for it. It’s got a fantastic world, the side missions are the highlights. Considering the rubbish The PC has been getting as “AAA” over the last year or so Cyberpunk is a standout.

I found that all my bugs went away when I installed it on my 8TB samsung ssd and used 3 of my 3080ti cards in SLI. Maybe try that?

Well, the game doesn't take up a tremendous amount of space. My 8TB drive is mostly in use by DCS world.

As for my 3090 FTW3...it's doing fine in Cyberpunk and everything else.

I feel bad for people who could only get a 3080Ti and had to spend more than I did for the 3090.

CD Projekt Red have definitely lost a lot of gamers respect over the publishing of this game. But personally I think it’s an outstanding title, if you have an RTX card it runs relatively bug free and you should go for it. It’s got a fantastic world, the side missions are the highlights. Considering the rubbish The PC has been getting as “AAA” over the last year or so Cyberpunk is a standout.

I agree, and I'm sad that I agree. This game is a decent experience. It's not a standout title, unless it's compared all the other crap that's come out recently. Which is sad.

Well, the game doesn't take up a tremendous amount of space. My 8TB drive is mostly in use by DCS world.

As for my 3090 FTW3...it's doing fine in Cyberpunk and everything else.

I feel bad for people who could only get a 3080Ti and had to spend more than I did for the 3090.

Yeah I find it plays pretty well in my private jet when all my money blah sorry did you have a point?

With this patch I'm about to play CP2077 for the first time sometime this week. Guess it must be polished and bug free enough by now?

I thought a patch was for fixes and balance, and DLC was content.

This is like some weird patch focused hybrid unless I'm missing something.

Yep no way this is DLC. More like a patch with a few goodies / extras. Would've been much better PR if they just called it that.

No I don't think someone just took the money and ran. I think management changed direction on the game over and over causing nothing to be finished when it was finally released. Time is where the money went.

I'm not sure if you are trolling or not, but I'll take your post at face value. Cyberpunk 2077 is not an outstanding game. It's below average and when it was released it was in Alpha development and now it seems they've stopped developing the core game. I bought the game well after the majority of the large bugs were fixed and there are still so many things missing or unfinished.

The list of fixes in the patch notes is impressive (and a good step forward), but this also means it will probably take at least 1 if not 2 more years for this game to be as it was intended to be: complete and with as few issues as possible.
I don't think they are interesting in fixing the core issues with the game anymore. I think the game will never be complete or fixed.

I'm not sure if you are trolling or not, but I'll take your post at face value. Cyberpunk 2077 is not an outstanding game. It's below average and when it was released it was in Alpha development and now it seems they've stopped developing the core game. I bought the game well after the majority of the large bugs were fixed and there are still so many things missing or unfinished.
I’m not trolling, it is a very good game. I’m sorry if you lack the capacity to appreciate it. A lot of users didn’t get bugs in it like me. I had more issues on read dead redemption 2, which FYI is also a good game.

I’m not trolling, it is a very good game. I’m sorry if you lack the capacity to appreciate it. A lot of users didn’t get bugs in it like me. I had more issues on read dead redemption 2, which FYI is also a good game.

Its weird. If it had come out with no fanfare then it would have been better received on platforms that could run it. As it was instead released full of bugs, with loads of missing features that they had been using to entice people to preorder then it’s more difficult to judge. Can you enjoy a relationship with a pretty girlfriend who lied to you? Can you enjoy hour after hours of badly coded cops and terrible driving, safe in the knowledge the game wasn’t finished to a decent standard before they had their hands out for money. Maybe you can. Maybe you can’t. I expected a game that would demand most of my free time with its depth of story telling, character choices and development, and skill/perk builds, in a living breathing city that would rival and surpass anything rockstar had created until this point. Instead it’s a by the numbers story with linear progression.

Its weird. If it had come out with no fanfare then it would have been better received on platforms that could run it. As it was instead released full of bugs, with loads of missing features that they had been using to entice people to preorder then it’s more difficult to judge. Can you enjoy a relationship with a pretty girlfriend who lied to you? Can you enjoy hour after hours of badly coded cops and terrible driving, safe in the knowledge the game wasn’t finished to a decent standard before they had their hands out for money. Maybe you can. Maybe you can’t. I expected a game that would demand most of my free time with its depth of story telling, character choices and development, and skill/perk builds, in a living breathing city that would rival and surpass anything rockstar had created until this point. Instead it’s a by the numbers story with linear progression.
Not everyone suffered from the bugs. I didn’t! I had a very smooth experience from day 1.

The main story of cyberpunk is not the best but the side missions contain fascinating bits of story. On the whole I firmly believe that it is a good game and one of the best released over the last year. The world is edgy and far more controversial than any game I’ve played before (or at least it should have been). The dialogue is well written and the cyberpunk 2077 world is relatively accurately portrayed.

People love to hate and Cyberpunk attracted a lot of hate but at the same time it’s still one of the best selling games of all time. It is mostly what they promised as well. You don’t have to enjoy cyberpunk, you are entitled to your opinion. But as I said I can’t think of a better game released in the last year or so and it is incredibly popular within the community once you get past the trolls, many of which have never actually played the game.

Not everyone suffered from the bugs. I didn’t! I had a very smooth experience from day 1.

The main story of cyberpunk is not the best but the side missions contain fascinating bits of story. On the whole I firmly believe that it is a good game and one of the best released over the last year. The world is edgy and far more controversial than any game I’ve played before (or at least it should have been). The dialogue is well written and the cyberpunk 2077 world is relatively accurately portrayed.

People love to hate and Cyberpunk attracted a lot of hate but at the same time it’s still one of the best selling games of all time. It is mostly what they promised as well. You don’t have to enjoy cyberpunk, you are entitled to your opinion. But as I said I can’t think of a better game released in the last year or so and it is incredibly popular within the community once you get past the trolls, many of which have never actually played the game.
Yeah it’s subjective. If it’s the best game released this last year, how come I’ve spent the last year playing different games. Odd

Yeah it’s subjective. If it’s the best game released this last year, how come I’ve spent the last year playing different games. Odd
I don’t think you understand the word “subjective”.

I get it mate, you don’t like it. Now try and imagine the possibility that other people have different opinions than you. It’s difficult I know but really really try and then maybe you might be able to comprehend my comments…

Back